Typical inductances list for radial lead capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all,

I have been searching the internet for a list of typical inductances for some of the most common size radial lead capacitors, e.g. Ø8 mm, Ø10 mm, Ø12 mm, Ø16 mm etc. sizes (w. different heights) but without really finding anything.

And so, by posting here, I hope one of you may have a link or document that lists such capacitor inductances ...

Cheers & thanks for any help,

Jesper

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi ... and thanks for replying and suggesting. It's a good idea which I have also considered, however, using e.g. this loop calculator:

https://www.eeweb.com/tools/rectangle-loop-inductance

... something like this (estimations of a 5 mm wire spacing capacitor) calculates to having ~ 27 nH inductance. Which - from the few capacitor inductance specs I have seen - is somewhat too high. Also, since the relative permeability is part of the equation I would prefer to see a listing of various measured inductances - to get a more specific idea of what the inductances may be.

So, if someone knows ...

Cheers,

Jesper

Attachments

• inductance.gif
    inductance.gif
    153.9 KB · Views: 45
You can assume that relative permability is 1 for most materials.

The inductance of the actual capacitor body could be less than a piece of wire because of the cross-sectional area of the current path, but in any case you will always have the actual wires and their spacing as a significant contributor. In any circuit you also have the PCB traces etc. too, so asking about 'the inductance of a capacitor' could lead you seriously astray unless you are designing UHF/microwave circuitry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.