Resistor -Higher Power Rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I am sourcing out parts for a 6c33c-b OTL amp poject that a friend is building for me. He gave me a shopping list with 1/2watt and 1watt resistors.

I am shopping mainly at partsconnexion.

I was originally looking at AN non magnetic tantalums, and then noticed they also have these very expensive AN silver tantalums. I did some reading and they’re supposed to be very good. But the hitch is - they only come in 2watts.

I had a short conversation with my friend/builder about using resistors with higher values than he listed, he is concerned it might introduce some noise.

I’ve read some comments that using resistors with higher ratings will yield better sound.

so, now I’m confused.

This is supposed to be my retirement amp project. Going with the AN silver tantalum resistors will cost me another $3k, which I don’t mind if it will give me the best sound. On the same token, I don’t want to spend that extra money if it will be of no benefit to the project.

any input/feedback is appreciated.

caveat - I am just the shopper.. not as technically inclined as most people on the board.

Joined 2011
I had a short conversation with my friend/builder about using resistors with higher values
than he listed, he is concerned it might introduce some noise.

A higher wattage resistor is fine (although it may be physically larger), and will have less thermal distortion
if there is signal voltage across it. Don't confuse this with a higher resistance value (in ohms),
which does have higher inherent noise. Usually the value in ohms is fixed by the circuit design, though.

Last edited:
Be careful asking for opinions here, especially about subjects as contentious as the sound of resistors.

After several years of trying lots of different boutique (expensive, exotic materials) and mass market resistors in many different applications, I have concluded that there is no single best resistor. You will NOT get the best sound from any device that uses only one type of resistor, no matter what it's made from or how much it costs. Use a mixture of at least two types.

Your builder friend might be confused about noise generated by resistors of higher resistance; that is, more ohms. A resistor with a higher voltage rating will not generate more noise and, in some cases, might sound slightly better, but the difference will not make or break a build. A larger resistor might also require longer leads to fit a PCB, and the extra inductance might negate any gains.

The most accurate and perhaps best sounding readily available resistor is the Vishay TX2575 Z-foil, available from Parts Connexion. It has a limited power rating. It also imparts a sound and should not be used exclusively, but it should be used extensively where low power levels are present. The best application is in the feedback loop of an opamp. Your builder friend should know what that is, or you can learn it yourself.

The next most neutral resistor I have found, after trying many types at all levels of cost, including Audio Note non-mag, Shinkoh, Takman, Amtrans, Riken, Caddock, KOA, PRP, metal film, carbon film, thick film, wire wound, etc, is the inexpensive Vishay/Dale RN and CMF series, readily available from Mouser or any other major parts house. ALL of the fancy, expensive parts I tried (except the Z-foil) added more coloration to the sound than these humble parts.

Peace,
Tom E

thanks for the excellent insight. thanks to the others who took the time to answer my questions.

I have actually bought Takmans for almost all values required (except for the 4.7 meg), somebody suggested Tantalums.

Be careful asking for opinions here, especially about subjects as contentious as the sound of resistors.

After several years of trying lots of different boutique (expensive, exotic materials) and mass market resistors in many different applications, I have concluded that there is no single best resistor. You will NOT get the best sound from any device that uses only one type of resistor, no matter what it's made from or how much it costs. Use a mixture of at least two types.

Your builder friend might be confused about noise generated by resistors of higher resistance; that is, more ohms. A resistor with a higher voltage rating will not generate more noise and, in some cases, might sound slightly better, but the difference will not make or break a build. A larger resistor might also require longer leads to fit a PCB, and the extra inductance might negate any gains.

The most accurate and perhaps best sounding readily available resistor is the Vishay TX2575 Z-foil, available from Parts Connexion. It has a limited power rating. It also imparts a sound and should not be used exclusively, but it should be used extensively where low power levels are present. The best application is in the feedback loop of an opamp. Your builder friend should know what that is, or you can learn it yourself.

The next most neutral resistor I have found, after trying many types at all levels of cost, including Audio Note non-mag, Shinkoh, Takman, Amtrans, Riken, Caddock, KOA, PRP, metal film, carbon film, thick film, wire wound, etc, is the inexpensive Vishay/Dale RN and CMF series, readily available from Mouser or any other major parts house. ALL of the fancy, expensive parts I tried (except the Z-foil) added more coloration to the sound than these humble parts.

Peace,
Tom E

Peace,
Tom E
Ever tried these? I use them all the time and they seem perfectly fine. Free Shipping 1/2W 0.5W Metal Film Resistor +-1% 0.1 Ohm - 10M Ohm High quality | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.