Information about Central Semiconductor? China or USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Central Semiconductor.
Does anyone know any information about this semiconductor company?
I searched the list of semiconductor manufacturers on the Wikipedia but did not have the name "Central Semiconductor"

Their datasheets look like old documents and it represents very little information. Eg: 2n5087

The digits on their transistors always have the word CEN

---
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Their large headquarters are located in the United States (see photo above).
Central Semiconductor Corp.
145 Adams Avenue
Hauppauge, NY 11788 USA
Main: Tel: (631) 435-1110
Main Fax: (631) 435-1824
On their homepage say that: "Since 1974..." "Cisco Systems, HP, IBM, ITT, Motorola and Sony are among Central's top customers"
I'm surprised, because a company has a long history, but Wikipedia does not know.

---
I found a company with the same name: Central Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation (CSMC)- 1997- Hongkong- Chinese Gorverment (attach file)

Is there any connection between these two companies?

---
On the homepage of Central USA: " Central continues to manufacture older technology devices"
Why are they producing outdated components?
I find it looks like the style of Chinese companies. Chinese companies prefer to re-produce products that have been famous in the past.

Attachments

• China semiconductor.png
    China semiconductor.png
    113 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20180220_221149_edit.jpg
    IMG_20180220_221149_edit.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 2n5087.png
    2n5087.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure they are related, but could be mistaken.

I have used CentralSemi diodes and transistors in a number of projects over the years, they are stocked by major suppliers here.

They tend to specialize in oddball and older parts, which is similar to the market CSMC addresses.

They are a bit obscure.

That Corp did not come up in a quick search on wikipedia either.

On the homepage of Central USA: " Central continues to manufacture older technology devices"
Why are they still producing outdated components?
I find it looks like the style of Chinese companies. Chinese companies prefer to re-produce products that have been famous in the past.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For military and medical devices that are subject to rigorous change controls, and old equipment in the transportation and other sectors that need parts in specific packages and technologies that are no longer common in the primary semiconductor market.

They are not the only supplier of such components in the Northeastern U.S. Rochester Electronics up in Newburyport specializes in obsolete semiconductors and actually have a pretty large inventory of semiconductor die (they're like the seed bank of the semi-con industry) that they package to order.

Because there is a market for them. When someone posts here that TI is ceasing production of TO92 transistors or DIP ICs or whatever, you can count on folks here screaming about it. SO companies like this make the parts instead.

Is some development of newer devices due to copyright and intellectual property? My understanding is that culturally and historically the Chinese have a different view to much of the rest of the world when it comes to "counterfeiting".

Counterfeiting is not the same as manufacturing parts from a previous era. We have companies that make replacement parts for 1957 Chevy cars. They are not "fake" parts, they are just parts currently made to a prior spec for the market. That is different from remade parts SOLD as original.

Some Chinese perpetrate fraud, just as some people in the USA perpetrate fraud. Over there it might be fake parts, over here it might me mortgage fraud. The Chinese have no monopoly on crooks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.