Don't mate gold connectors with tin connectors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Connector Contacts: Gold, Silver and Tin | TvTechnology

One caveat: Don’t mate gold with tin as it is subject to fretting corrosion. As the connection is made, the tin tends to transfer to the gold pins, eventually forming a tin oxide layer on the gold. This layer can build up fairly quickly and because of the durable nature of the gold, is resistant to cracking and rubbing off.

So more googling:

Golden Rule No.12: Gold Contacts Should Not Be Mated To Tin Contacts 1, 8, 23
The gold-to-tin contact interface is susceptible to fretting corrosion. In addition to the normal fretting process, there is a related mechanism of transfer of tin to the gold interface which ultimately leads to a buildup of tin
oxide on the harder gold surface. Disruption of this oxide is more difficult
than for the case of tin oxide on tin.
http://www.te.com/documentation/whitepapers/pdf/aurulrep.pdf

Well that's written by Tyco / AMP so I better believe it.

Soldered connection is different I think. For plug in connections like Molex KK I try not to mingle metals and stick with one or the other, based on what I've heard from folks who work in the repair industry. Gold on gold OR tin on tin for me, if I have a choice and if it'll stay connected for a long time. Nice to see the technical explanation.

BK

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Way back in the 80's, when I worked at a computer manufacturer, we sourced various memory chips from the top makers (Micron, PNY, etc). It wasn't long that we heard about problems in the field with our computers and the engineers came back and told us no more tin leaded memory modules mating to gold connectors (or vice versa).

Does this mean that my Compaq Presario from 1982 will fail soon? It has gold flashed edge connectors and tin plated mating connectors. Better watch out if it is going to be unreliable. (Wonder if it is still under warranty for when the connections fail, must be a design fault).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.