Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

torque on silca pads
torque on silca pads
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 08:24 PM   #1
MaccAu is offline MaccAu  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MaccAu Send a message via MSN to MaccAu Send a message via Yahoo to MaccAu torque on silca pads
Default torque on silca pads

What is the best torque for applying to the silpads? for the following. I dont have a torque set but maybe i can get away without or get one if needed

Re: torque on SPK4-0.006-00-58 - for Thyristor to heatsink?
Tensile Strength 5000 psi

Re torque on SP900S-0.009-00-105 - for Sanken Output transistors on an amplifer - shape of the sanken output transistors 200w MT200
Tensile Strength:1300 psi

Sam

Mouser Parts links (digikey has actual photo of item) for Sanken
SP900S-0.009-00-105 Bergquist | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

Last edited by MaccAu; 13th January 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 13th January 2018, 08:41 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hand tight is the norm. Depends on the nut/bolt type. If steel more torque than brass but if silicon heat sink compound is used, hand tight is fine.
Have a look at the chart;
https://mdmetric.com/tech/Standard_t...ing_torque.pdf

Hope that helps.
Old 13th January 2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Since this one is fiber-glass reinforced, it has no practical limit by itself, but the object you want to cool certainly has, especially if it is partly or totally made of plastic (remember though that even full-metal parts also have a limit)
Old 13th January 2018, 10:12 PM   #4
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Use these to allow for expansion and contraction Belleville washer - Wikipedia
Old 13th January 2018, 10:24 PM   #5
multi-volti is offline multi-volti  United States
diyAudio Member

Old Motorola (obviously old) semiconductor databooks used to have app notes discussing things like heatsink mounting surface flatness (25-50 micro-inch iirc) and hardware torque for different packages. 6-32 screws on a TO-220 package probably had only a single-digit-to-low-double-digit torque (#-inch) need (wild guess 6-12 oz.-inches?). The flatness and grease or silpad assure no air gap so there is good heat transfer/low thermal resistance. Tensile strength probably relates to limits on the screws...shouldn’t be approaching any failure limits...finding semiconductor mounting requirements would probably be more meaningful than limits associated with failure. The heatsink flatness probably assured the bulk of the work for good heat transfer. There was probably no pressure spec for thermal compound used before pads because the flatness made it happen.

I also remember hole diameter recommendations for mounting screws to avoid deforming the semiconductor surface into the hole, causing potential die damage inside the device package.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:10 PM   #6
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

Motorola AN-1040 has all of the mounting specs for different transistor case types, TO-3 is 6 in/lbs and TO-220 is 8 in/lbs. It also has specs for different insulator types, mica, silpad, etc.

Craig
Old 16th January 2018, 02:35 AM   #7
multi-volti is offline multi-volti  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool- Thanks, Craig...I had my units pretty mixed up...started to get nervous thinking pounds vs inches & flinched...chose ounces...oops
Old 16th January 2018, 11:52 PM   #8
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't notice your torque specs, I was just adding the document # that shows all of that data. AN1040 shows in/lbs, my torque driver is in in/lbs but the guys on the other side of the pond want it to be lb/ins which is probably more correct.

Craig
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #9
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhtt View Post
I didn't notice your torque specs, I was just adding the document # that shows all of that data. AN1040 shows in/lbs, my torque driver is in in/lbs but the guys on the other side of the pond want it to be lb/ins which is probably more correct.

Craig

What the hell is this? Torque is defined as the product of force times lenght, not as a division!

Best regards!

torque on silca padsHide this!Advertise here!