schottky vs. soft/fast recovery diodes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Schottky diodes:

+ Low forward voltage
+ Fast recovery time
- Not available in ratings higher than about 60V
- high leakage current

Soft/Fast Recovery diodes:

+ Fast Recovery Time
+ High voltage rating
+ Low leakage current
- High foward voltage

Choose whichever is going to be more efficent in your circuit.

Magura said:
There is a noise aspect to this as well. Wich makes more noise?? It seems to differ from application to application.

Magura:)

Well the 'Soft Recovery' diodes were specifically designed to reduce switching noise. They have a gradual turnoff which rounds off the switching current waveform. This results in a lot less RF noise, with a small sacrifice in efficency.

However if you are using the diodes in a standard 50Hz bridge rectifier then there will really be no diffrence because the frequency is so low.

soft turnoff.

ClassD said:
However if you are using the diodes in a standard 50Hz bridge rectifier then there will really be no diffrence because the frequency is so low.
I used to think so too. Get your scope out and have a look at the transformer secondary voltage under load. Zoom in to where the waveform is just starting to move away from the flattened peak and head toward zero again. As a slow diode recovers it will "snap" the reverse recovery current off suddenly, causing the transformer winding to ring somewhat. Fast, ultrafast and schottky diodes (and vacuum tube rectifiers for that matter) turn off more cleanly and don't "twang" the transformer winding and generate noise in the process.

I've found it effective (with small transformers) to put an RC snubber on the transformer secondary, tuned to minimize ringing. Similarly, smallish and very low ESR bypass caps on each rectifier is a common practice, although I think a tuned RC there ought to be more effective at damping out the ringing, in combination with a Schottky or soft recovery device.

Even with Schottky or soft recovery devices, there is still inductive ringing; an RC snubber can deal directly with this problem, small as it may be.

There...

are a lot of Shottky options available these days, especially for source component power supplies. I have a question though:

"

Schottky diodes:

+ Low forward voltage
+ Fast recovery time
- high leakage current

What are the specific drawbacks of high leakage current? Thanks to anyone who can explain this to me.

are a lot of Shottky options available these days, especially for source component power supplies. I have a question though:

"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Schottky diodes:

+ Low forward voltage
+ Fast recovery time
- high leakage current

What are the specific drawbacks of high leakage current? Thanks to anyone who can explain this to me.

All false. Please refer to the datasheets of the latest silicon carbide schottky diodes.

Forward voltage more or less the same as FRED.
Zero recovery time.
Voltage rating higher than 1000V.
Very minimal leakage current.

I better rephrase my above reply as follows since I can't edit it now.

All false with the latest silicon carbide schottky diodes. Please refer to their datasheets such as:
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/C2D10120.pdf

Forward voltage more or less the same as FRED.
Zero recovery time.
Voltage rating higher than 1000V.
Very minimal leakage current.

But I don't know whether they have any sonic benefit in audio application.

I've found it effective (with small transformers) to put an RC snubber on the transformer secondary, tuned to minimize ringing. Similarly, smallish and very low ESR bypass caps on each rectifier is a common practice, although I think a tuned RC there ought to be more effective at damping out the ringing, in combination with a Schottky or soft recovery device.

I apologize for my ignorance but could you please be more specific about the RC snubber for the transformer secondary. I guess I am particularly interested about values and placement (e.g. between the negative and the 0V?).

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.