Belden DIY audio cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The bass is better, more dry, less rumble. KEF Q100, -3 dB: 49 Hz - 40 kHz.

I suspect that it also increases the fall slope of the coil.

I tried with tweeter cables too but the sound was in U, too much highs.

And with two rounds with woofer cables but the sound was worse.

With the music (classical, baroque, jazz... music without electronic instruments) I listen to -when my diy devices can with the VERY BIG noise/interferences of the mains- I have so many bass that I do not miss a sub, unlike what happened before.

With other filter, more complex, the results do not have to be the same.

Last edited:
Wow. I should go to Adolf Würth, who lives just some kilometers apart from me, and tell him that he could even make a lot more money by marketing his RFI ferrites to audiophools. Or, even better, I should buy large qantities of them, quit my daily job and do the marketing by myself.

Best regards!

There is something about frequency and Skin effect when designing SMPS multi-stranded transformers. Could it be it ?
On my living room I use parallel grey supra cable 6 mm I think. For PA I use ordinary round rubber black mains cable 2.5mm.
I was using that flimsy 1mm black/red cable that came with the speakers, and one day I changed them for supra. That's when I changed also the RCAs and Scart Video cables for Monster. You know ... They say Gold is what matters ....
But I experienced something:
I have a stained glass fixed window on my stairs and in one of the corners there is a crack. When I changed the cables, I could hear the glass rattling when going up or down on the stairs. I've never noticed it before. Perhaps the cables increased the bottom end...

I know, that is why I used the italics: series. But the inductances are not cancelled.

+ -- coil -- ferrite -- woofer -- ferrite -- -

The question is that the sound is better. And bypass the yellow capacitor with 10 nF 600 V styroflex too. And those little two pieces of rock wool, placed in the back, up. And ...

Of course the very tiny additional inductivities are cancelled. You're running both the woofer's black and red wires through a common ferrite core in parallel, don't you? At least your pics show that. This basically is the same as a bifilarly wound inductor with the current through each wire flowing in opposite directions. Remember the original purpose of these beads as a common mode RFI filter...

Your experience of better bass response clearly has to be deduced from expectation bias.

Best regards!

maty tinman said:
Bypass capacitor with other in parallel => The same with coil, with other in series.
No. 'Bypass' caps often make things worse. Adding a ferrite to make a common-mode choke does not add to inductance.

Kay Pirinha said:
The AC current flows through your 'coil' in opposite directions, so the tiny inductivities that each of your conductors see are cancelled.
Yes.

maty tinman said:
The question is that the sound is better.
You clearly believe so.

MAAC0 said:
There is something about frequency and Skin effect when designing SMPS multi-stranded transformers. Could it be it ?
No.

I have a stained glass fixed window on my stairs and in one of the corners there is a crack. When I changed the cables, I could hear the glass rattling when going up or down on the stairs. I've never noticed it before. Perhaps the cables increased the bottom end...
Extremely unlikely.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I measured the distortion of an 8ohm dummy load at the end of 2m of 16ga stranded zip cord vs at the amp’s output terminals and also at the end of 2m of 12ga solid copper Romex. There was a huge difference in not only amplifier damping factor, but also distortion profile, but THD, and in one case, the zipcord caused a mild oscillation in the amp. Amp was VHEX+, my reference Class AB amp. I now use 12ga solid copper Romex. It’s all measurable and not little effects - more people should measure and stop wondering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.