Potentiometer with no resistance readings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have a similar potentiometer to the one pictured here which gives no resistance readings between any of the three legs; is there any way of obtaining reference readings without altering the adjustment?

CM161229-09400603 Edited.jpg

Anagas pot values flat Edited.jpg

My thoughts were to give it a good spray with solvent switch-cleaner with the meter still connected and on :scratch1:

Last edited:
Very brief reply now, more later. Glad messages are working. Cut track means pot acts only as a variable resistor (like any other resistor ie 2 connections) but can be adjusted from 0 to specified maximum. 3rd leg irrelevant.
When you say 'no resistance reading', what does the ohm meter say? 0 (or say 0.3) means short circuit, eg copper track or solder bridge. anything above say 10M means open circuit, same as connected to nothing. A pot in circuit is almost bound to have a measurable resistance between each pair of legs (except for the 3rd leg of a cut track pot, which might be connected to anything or nothing.

Confusion Between Us

There had been some confusion between us regarding your resistance readings where you have noted a 0; when I see this, I read it as no reading at all, whereas you mean it to be continuity.

As an illustration; when I connect my two meter probes together I am looking for a reading of continuity, yet I still get a small reading 0.1 or 0.2, I have accepted this as normal to be okay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.