[INDIA] CPLDs in Bangalore - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2004, 04:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question [INDIA] CPLDs in Bangalore

Hi,

Could someone point me to where I might find CPLDs in small quantities in Bangalore? I'd prefer Xilinx, but can make do with Altera or any other company's stuff as long as it's re-programmable (ie, not OTP)

Thanks!
Old 5th April 2004, 08:09 AM   #2
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Default Re: [INDIA] CPLDs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally posted by roadkill
...CPLDs in small quantities
In audio? What are you doing with them?
Old 5th April 2004, 09:58 AM   #3
ClassD is offline ClassD  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ClassD
Default Re: Re: [INDIA] CPLDs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally posted by tcpip
In audio? What are you doing with them?
DSP
Old 5th April 2004, 10:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No, actually, I don't exactly need it for audio work, I didn't know where else to ask. I wanted to try and build a high-speed (50 MHz) sampler, which I plan to use as a DSO. I could use an MCU for generating the sampler control signals, but it wouldn't be fast enough. Besides this, CPLDs are highly useful for a whole bunch of stuff, including routing of serial audio among multiple processors.

BTW, I'm open to using Cypress chips too, since they have free development tools.
Old 5th April 2004, 01:13 PM   #5
ClassD is offline ClassD  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ClassD
Ohh ok. I really don't like using FPGA. Do you program them in VHDL?
Old 29th April 2004, 09:36 AM   #6
ashwin is offline ashwin  India
diyAudio Member

Default bump

Hi roadkill,
did you manage to find CPLDs in B'lore? Even I'm thinking of playing with them

- Ashwin
Old 29th April 2004, 06:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

No, not found any yet. I did find one interesting thing, though: at Vishal Electronics, he had a brown cardboard box labeled "CPLD/FPGA programmer"... hmmm... if they sell programmers, someone ought to have the chips! Anyway, I was in a hurry that day so I didn't enquire further.

And yes, I do program FPGAs in VHDL at work. Big beefy Xilinx Virtex-IIs, with equivalent gate counts of 4 million
Old 30th April 2004, 02:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roadkill
No, not found any yet. I did find one interesting thing, though: at Vishal Electronics, he had a brown cardboard box labeled "CPLD/FPGA programmer"... hmmm... if they sell programmers, someone ought to have the chips! Anyway, I was in a hurry that day so I didn't enquire further.

And yes, I do program FPGAs in VHDL at work. Big beefy Xilinx Virtex-IIs, with equivalent gate counts of 4 million
Well, so do I! After playing with Virtex-IIs at work, I feel so powerless at home

What I was interested in trying is making clones of classic 8-bit chips like 6502, 6522 and 6845, and then maybe making a clone of the BBC micro 8-bit microcomputer I actually saw a website where a guy had put most of the circuitry of the BBC micro into an FPGA.

- Ashwin
Old 2nd June 2004, 01:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

First question..
why do u need CPLD's. They dont come cheap compared to the FPGA's Only advantage being they
need not be initilaised every time on power up (as u alll know), On the flip side accomodates less logic compared to an equivalently priced FPGA. And they can blow up pretty fast..I've used couple of CPLD's the MACH M4 64/32 etc from latttice. The M4 device, if i remember correctly was around 3000+ INR ..that is around 3yrs back
FPGA's are cool if u dont need high utilisation.other wise they s**k.One of the teams had done a design and fitted it into a vertex device with an utilisation of 95-97%..sounds impossible..but was done...! A lot of sweat...!!

Roadkill, the cardboard box that u saw, might be one like the xillinx Xchecker cables...
used for programming CPLD's/FPGA's through jtag or similar interface. I dont think its a dedicated programmer, the one with which u can burn the init ROMs etc for ur FPGA's etc..!
I think i've seen some posters of Altera devices somewhere on sp road..?
did u enquire at universall..or at that huge shop opp chandan etc..!!

Ok now moving on to the sampler..!!
what exactly is on your mind..?
Is it just some kind of a data acquisition system that can be hooked on to ur PC or something similar..? You said DSO..! so how do u plan to implement it.? Displays..controls etc..
including the analog front end with those precision instrumentation..ADC etc etc...
wow should be quite interesting..

I had plans of using an FPGA to implement two things...

1) a simple matrix decoder..(the delay lines are a bit too difficult to get in analog)
2) some kind of adaptive room optimisation...may be start of with a couple of parametric
equilizers with keypad data entry and a basic alphanumeric display.

all of us being frm blr..proly we can join hands and do something interesting...
what say..!!

ajju

PS: is it possible that all of us are working at the same place but we dont know each other..?? :-?. Looking at the kind of work i get some serious doubts..!!
Old 3rd June 2004, 04:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ajju
First question..
why do u need CPLD's. They dont come cheap compared to the FPGA's
Well, looking at RS prices, the CPLDs seem much more affordable than FPGAs. And for a DIYer, the main advantage is that the Altera ones are still available in PLCC packages (Xilinx I believe has discontinued its PLCC packages, not sure about this though)

Quote:
Only advantage being they
need not be initilaised every time on power up (as u alll know), On the flip side accomodates less logic compared to an equivalently priced FPGA. And they can blow up pretty fast..I've used couple of CPLD's the MACH M4 64/32 etc from latttice. The M4 device, if i remember correctly was around 3000+ INR ..that is around 3yrs back
FPGA's are cool if u dont need high utilisation.other wise they s**k.One of the teams had done a design and fitted it into a vertex device with an utilisation of 95-97%..sounds impossible..but was done...! A lot of sweat...!!
If you need a lot of registers, then CPLDs simply cannot deliver, especially the PLCC packeged ones I mentioned above, because they have a smaller number of registers. One interesting possibility is to use PICs or AVRs as logic devices With software doing the logic operation. Dunno about AVRs but PICs have an interrupt-on-port-pin-change which will be very useful for this sort of thing. Microchip has an app note on this on their site.

Quote:
did u enquire at universall..or at that huge shop opp chandan etc..!!
Actually I saw some Altera devices in Vishal's display case, but I don't know if he actually sold them

Quote:
PS: is it possible that all of us are working at the same place but we dont know each other..?? :-?. Looking at the kind of work i get some serious doubts..!!
Well, I know for a fact that you and I work for the same company
Your house-mate Anith sits next to me

- Ashwin

Hide this!Advertise here!