Using the secondary of a normal transformer as the primary to get a HT supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Im being a skinflint and don't really want to fork out 120 quid for a mains transformer. I have a 500VA toroidal in mind, with twin primaries and twin secondaries. primaries are 2x 0-115v and secondaries are 2x 0-30v
If the mains is fed in across the secondaries, then this should result in a 440-0-440 output, on what used to be the primaries. Is the insulation likely to be up to this? Or any other factors I haven't considered, like the power handling of the primary. It would be running the HT supply of the WAD Kat6550 circuit, which is a push-pull 6550 power amp.
World Audio Design
The secondaries are rated at 8.5amps, so I guess the primary should match this power handling (8.5x30 = 255W??). If the primary wasn't up the the current loading, which I can't imagine too easily, I guess it would be possible to parallel two toroids. The think is these toroidal transformers are only £30, so it's very tempting!!

Thanks,
Steve

I've done it before with no problems but make sure you've got good insulation on your new primaries(secondaries). If its a 120/240 transformer then you've got a center tap on your new secondaries! Remember to fuse the input.
yes it is a 120/240, thats what drew me to it :)
toroidals
it's the 500VA 2x 0-30v one here I was considering.
Gotta be worth a go, i suppose nothing can go that stupidly horrendously wrong if its fused....
Cheers
Steve

If a winding, whether primary or secondary has higher than its rated voltage applied, there'll be trouble. So your original idea is no-go.

However, there is nothing wrong with using a transformer to step-up, just as speaker described.
There is no way though, that you'll get the voltages you want, without a proper transformer.

You don't have to pay the money you are thinking. They sometimes crop up on eBay second hand.

:cop:I'm closing this thread before any really dangerous suggestions are made :cop:

Status
Not open for further replies.