Nuvotem Talema vs RS Pro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I was shopping for some low power 2x15V encapsulated transformers.
RS Componnets sells Nuvotem Talemas and their own brand RS Pro
In particular these two 25VA transformers
70063K | 2 Output Toroidal Transformer, 25VA, 2 x 15V ac | Nuvotem Talema
and
| Toroidal Transformer, 25VA, 2 x 15V |
look exactly the same. Not only obvious power rating, voltage but also the temperature ratings, regulation, efficiency and pinout (these are PCB mount) etc are the same.

Also the weight is exactly the same (what I do not know is whether the wire is the same or the encapsulation material in one is heavier).

Did I mention that RS Pro is almost half of the price of the Talema?

Any experience with these?

My concern is probably the mechanical noise (but these are low power so maybe this is not relevant as long none is really substandard). Temprerature wise I should be all right if the data sheets are near close the reality.

I am almost sure that both brands are made on the same factory and are identical... Even the 7xxxx series numbering is the same. My own experience with 15VA Talema's is very positive. No mechanical noises at all but I do not load them too much.

Regards,
Oleg

Edit: I seems misread about the 7xxxx series, there is no indication of it on RS brand transformers.

Last edited:
My concern is probably the mechanical noise (but these are low power so maybe this is not relevant as long none is really substandard).
The encapsulated transformers I have seen will usually not suffer mechanical vibration of the windings. They are all buried in the resin.
There might be a little vibration from the core, but since this is inside that resin, it is likely to be inaudible.
Temprerature wise I should be all right if the data sheets are near close the reality.
be careful to de-rate for a capacitor input filter.
The maximum continuous DC current is approximately half the rated AC current.
For cool running aim for reducing your continuous load to ~25% of the AC rating.
i.e. for a 25VA 30Vac transformer into a capacitor input filter, the maximum continuous cool operating current is around 200mAdc to 250mAdc

CPC have a 24VA by Block
TRANSFORMER, 24VA 2X 15V - BLOCK | CPC
RS seems a bargain.
Watch the transformer regulation : 18.6% and when you run on 245Vac (UK) the output voltage will be ~19Vac

Last edited:
In Germany 25VA Talema's cost around 15~16 Euro (13~14 GBP) tax included, so the price for RS pro parts is reasonable. "Original" Talema's seems overpriced at RS probably to not compete with their own "brand" parts. Just a guess.
Interesting. I was leaning towards Talema, but I guess I can as well go for RS.

@Andrew:
As for power rating I am ok. Also both (RS and Talema) are rated the same.
Regulation is also the same. On paper they are the same.
Your remarks about raisin encapsulated transformers are very useful.

Thanks guys!

I have ordered two encapsulated transformer from RS Pro and I can confirm that it is exactly same except branding.

Attachments

• 20170828_004214_HDR.jpg
    20170828_004214_HDR.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 508
Yes, they actually have the same Talema code (in my case: 70063K for 25VA
2x15V; see pic below).

I hope they will not go up in price! I started the thread when there were 33 pieces of 70063K in store. I ordered one day later when there was only one left. Also 15VA are gone...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 466
Have anyone tried both Block and Talema toroidal transformers? I am planning to buy two 200VA 12Vx2 toroidal transformers for power amplifier. I just wonder which brand should I choose.

I use a lot of Talema transformers, so far so good. For Block, I seldom use because of the high price (usually 30% higher than Talema in RS).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.