Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

How do I find a Replacement Rotary Encoder?
How do I find a Replacement Rotary Encoder?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2017, 12:51 AM   #1
TankAudio is offline TankAudio
diyAudio Member

Default How do I find a Replacement Rotary Encoder?

Where can I learn about rotary encoders? There are plenty of Youtube videos on "how an encoder works", but I only need to know how to replace them when they are broken. I receive a lot of rack mount gear and integrated-DSP instrument amplifiers.

When I scroll through the Mouser website, I would like to know how to describe an encoder that has:

(2) separate binary tracks, the inside track having (40) conductive marks, and the outside track having (32) conductive tracks. There are (2) sets of brushes attached to the shaft.

Thanks.
Old 7th November 2017, 03:53 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I have never had to look for number of marks.

Your encoder is either an absolute position encoder, or a relative encode. The first works like a pot in that the direction you aim it determines the output. The relative encoder is used to turn something up and down incrementally, but the position it aims tells us nothing. The common data wheel is an example of the latter - it rotates 360 degrees forever.

A three leg encoder is usually two in quadrature. There will be two on/off outputs and a common, and they operate a bit off sync. SO if you turn the shaft, one closes first before the other. Depending on which direction you turn, the circuit sees on or the other first, and so determines direction.

Given more legs, you can find encoders with binary output or Gray Code, or other.

To replace one, first, find ones that look similar. If you need a 9mm encoder, a 16mm won't fit. Does it have a shaft you can use? I find Mouser describes them well enough. They come in various numbers of steps. In the case of a data wheel, it may not matter how many steps, one would just step more spaces for a given rotation. All these factors help you narrow down to a useful selection.
Old 8th November 2017, 12:21 PM   #3
TankAudio is offline TankAudio
diyAudio Member

Thanks Enzo!
Old 8th November 2017, 01:49 PM   #4
bfg4wd is offline bfg4wd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Encoder

Are you sure itís an encoder? You say it has two sets of brushes, if you mean carbon brushes like a DC motor, then chances are thatís a tachometer used for speed feedback. Encoders are used for speed but more so for position.

Regards,
Ted
Old 9th November 2017, 03:50 AM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Encoders have a ton of uses. In our gear, we often see them on control panels to increment some parameter up and down. A data wheel as an example. A lot of digital guitar amps, and modelers use encoders instead of pots on the panel.

How do I find a Replacement Rotary Encoder?Hide this!Advertise here!