Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Two-stranded litz wire dielectric strength
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2017, 09:52 PM   #11
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
Well, safety is really important here.
Perhaps you need to think about vacuum impreg, as a method to improve creepage/clearance between existing and future pin-holes or insulation thickness variations or cracks due to winding, and use insulation resistance measurement at 500VDC as a measure of merit (as built and periodically over time).
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:45 PM   #12
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
I got some two-stranded litz wire for cheap. My plan was to easy wind a bifiliar interstage transformer, as the wire is just ready to use.
The only advantage with this wire is what you say "to easy wind...." as you can continue the complete wind without interruption.
Disadvantage is, apart from the higher risk of failure, that a wire like this will take more winding space. It takes the width and heigth of two wires, and there is the additional insulation to make it "one" wire.
When you build up the coil the normal way, that is "one layer primary - thin sheet insulation - one layer secondary", and you repeat this process until you reach the needed number of primary/secondary turns, you will have an IT with the same quality without the disadvantages of the bifilar wound (breakdown risk; winding space).
But it takes more time
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:51 PM   #13
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobbins View Post
Perhaps you need to think about vacuum impreg, as a method to improve creepage/clearance between existing and future pin-holes or insulation thickness variations or cracks due to winding, and use insulation resistance measurement at 500VDC as a measure of merit (as built and periodically over time).
An useful advice. I'm wondering if paraffin would work, or I definitely have to use a varnish compound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
But it takes more time
Exactly! I'm trying the easy route! Layer by layer horizontal + vertical sectioning is going to last a lifetime.
Old 7th November 2017, 01:20 PM   #14
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

50 turns of this wire, roughly wound on a mandrel with sharp edges successfully resisted 1kV DC using a megaohmmeter So I suppose 350Vdc will not be an issue.
Old 7th November 2017, 03:03 PM   #15
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Cool
I was chiming in to suggest something like that: just wind the d*mn transformer and apply 2X at least, 3X preferred from primary to secondary.

If no sparks/atomic mushroom cloud then itīs safe to use.

Two-stranded litz wire dielectric strengthHide this!Advertise here!