µA747: is there a better equivalent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Those are in an antiquated and obsolete package I'm afraid.

The best option might be to have small adapter boards made that would take a modern dual replacement.

Another thing to beware of is power consumption. Twelve dual '741's' take little, and there are plenty of suitable replacements (apart from the package) but there are also plenty of others that could be to power hungry overall.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yep. It's still an active part, i.e. TI still makes it.

I would hesitate to swap them out. Many of the older circuits resorted to all sorts of tricks to wring as much out of the old parts as possible. If you apply the same tricks to a newer opamp you could get all sorts of nasty surprises - including instability. Some of the circuit tricks also used the offset adjust pins to gain access to the input stage of the opamp. If your equalizer uses those pins for anything other than offset adjustment, I'd leave the uA747 in there.

Should you decide to swap out the parts, I'd make a small adapter board with an OPA1612 or LME49720 in SOIC-08 that plugged into the 14-pin socket for the uA747.

Tom

Thanks for the answers.
I know that one can buy the "ua747" still new. I get it here in D for 0.74 € / ea. But it is not exactly the first choice for audio application and since I have to exchange anyway, I looked for replacement, but so far nothing found pin compatible.
I've already thought about an adapter board . However, the OPA1612 is too expensive to exchange 12 pieces (2 channels), which costs me 7.30 € /ea. NE5532 would probably do it as well in this application. There are no "tricks" in the circuit, the offset pins ect. are not used at all.
I will probably continue to use 747, so the equalizer once again runs. To build 12 adapters takes a time first.

Attachments

• equalizer_circuit_3.jpg
    equalizer_circuit_3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 186
Thanks for the advices.
First, I would test some single different OPs until I decide which type I choose for all.
The power consumption will not be a problem. The power supply is a 30VA transformer and standard +/- 15V voltage regulator (7815/7915). I could change the power supply in case of emergency, it is a separate component.
As far as I know, some (FET-) OP-types do not like, if (neg.-) input and output are connected directly. I would have to consider this in the selection, because preferably I want to make no further changes to the circuit or the PCB. But TL072 does not seem to belong to those.
Perhaps first not an adapter board, but a diy-adapter-socket would be better. Bottom side to fit in the 747-sockets at the equalizer board, top with DIL-8 socket to test various up-to-date ICs.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The circuit diagram you posted is all classic 'text book' circuitry. The TL072 should be an ideal swap I would have thought.

Jfet opamps have a peculiar 'problem' of phase inversion if the common mode input voltage range is exceeded... that will never happen with your circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.