Audio Taper Potentiometer Resistance Coding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been trying to source some linear & log pots and was rather surprised to find that the resistor coding on these actually varied from region to region!. The table below shows the different coding(s) according to the web link below.

Potentiometer >> Resistor Guide

Taper String Asia (common) Europe America Vishay

Linear LIN B A B A

Log / Audio LOG A C A L

Anti-log - – F C F

Are these consistent and how reliable are these? Can anyone please comment on this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I too always go by the spec sheet or what is stamped on the casing itself. I have bought extensively on both E-bay and on Ali Express However most sellers seem quite oblivious to the indiscrepancies in their advertsements, where they're often given as linear B for log pots! I recently bought a few 15 mm 10k stereo log pots, but they were advertised as linear!(it showed as B log on their spec sheet though)

O.t.o.h american coding is different to european. However, I don't know what or how consistant chinese coding practices are.

D0121 10pcs WH148 B10K Linear Potentiometer 15mm Shaft With Nuts And Washers Hot High Quality 3pin-in Potentiometers from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:
In modern imported pots, A is Audio/Log , B is Linear, C *should* be antiLog or Reverse Audio but I have never bought any of them so can´t confirm as end user.
Argentine made pots use European conventions, so they are usually labelled Log or Lin, never store bought antilog ones although I had small lots (300 units) locally made, they were usually marked with value only because they did not have the dies to stamp antilog on the bodies, but of course I kept them in a separate box ;)
FWIW I also had "S" taper ones custom made, the ones which are symmetrical, Log first half, antilog second half, what you need for smooth graphic and parametric equalizers and grounded wiper active gain controls.
Again, unmarked except for value, but I added a drop of paint to tell them apart.

Manufacturer would have ordered a proper stamp if I had bought, say, 10000 at a year ... keep dreaming ;)

Attachments

• HTB1af4cKXXXXXcGXpXXq6xXFXXXv.jpg
    HTB1af4cKXXXXXcGXpXXq6xXFXXXv.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.