Using Speakon connectors for PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picked up a GlassWare based PS for an Aikido octal preamp project that I want to build. Came with both a H-PS-1 low voltage board set up for 6.3VDC @ 2.5A and the PS-2 high voltage board set up for 284VDC as measured. This looks to be a perfect match for my 4 tube 6SN7 octal Aikido line stage. Came in a nice case all wired up with transformers, fuses, switches etc. Who ever built it did a nice job, thank you where ever you are.
The only thing I question is the use of a Neutrik SpeakON connector on the back panel. I was on the Neutrik website looking at plugs to match the 4 pole receptacle and read the electrical specs. They rate them at 30A and 250VAC. I see no problem with the 6.3VDC @ 2.4A but the 284VDC for the B+ is over voltage by a small margin. Current I'm not concerned with but arcing is a concern.
Is it common for DIY guys to use these connectors for PS builds? I am very impressed with the quality of the SpeakON connectors.
Thank you

BillWojo

Or use a different connector. Why invite the possibility of error?

AMP makes some lovely connectors in the circular line. You can select body style (2 hole to 48 hole), each wire has a crimped on pin, you can select gender. They mate easily, and have a turn ring to secure it. Check out CPC series from TE Connectivity at Mouser and other places.

Probably ought to use the similar Neutrik Powercon connector, rated for mains voltage and intended for it. It's best not to confuse mains or approaching mains voltage with speaker wires. That said, I did use speakons for my 12V LED landscape lighting connectors. Would just make a nice hum at 18 watts if you connected a speaker to it.

Picked up a GlassWare based PS for an Aikido octal preamp project that I want to build. Came with both a H-PS-1 low voltage board set up for 6.3VDC @ 2.5A and the PS-2 high voltage board set up for 284VDC as measured. This looks to be a perfect match for my 4 tube 6SN7 octal Aikido line stage. Came in a nice case all wired up with transformers, fuses, switches etc. Who ever built it did a nice job, thank you where ever you are.
The only thing I question is the use of a Neutrik SpeakON connector on the back panel. I was on the Neutrik website looking at plugs to match the 4 pole receptacle and read the electrical specs. They rate them at 30A and 250VAC. I see no problem with the 6.3VDC @ 2.4A but the 284VDC for the B+ is over voltage by a small margin. Current I'm not concerned with but arcing is a concern.
Is it common for DIY guys to use these connectors for PS builds? I am very impressed with the quality of the SpeakON connectors.
Thank you

BillWojo

SpeakON connectors are undeniably designed with high-quality features and using them for PS builds is not bad at all. As long as your PS is capable of handling the voltage then this will not stop you to experience the goodness of those connectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.