Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Speaker wire okay from relay to speaker terminals?
Speaker wire okay from relay to speaker terminals?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 12:04 AM   #1
zaib4tsu is offline zaib4tsu
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker wire okay from relay to speaker terminals?

Just wondering if speaker wire is okay for this, the common bare copper in clear plastic insulation variety? Split and twisted together, then probably heatshrinked over.

Or do the tinned copper strands (often used) serve some shielding purpose?

It's a short run, 160mm or so, and does not pass near the AC PSU, but does pass under the output transistors.

I can buy some different cabling if needed, thought I'd check first.
Old 19th June 2017, 12:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I also have some Raychem/TE 400R 16G (tinned individual copper strands, 600V) I could use instead, maybe that's a better bet?

Is it okay to double it up provided they're all twisted together?
Old 19th June 2017, 12:18 AM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaib4tsu View Post
Just wondering if speaker wire is okay for this, the common bare copper in clear plastic
insulation variety? Split and twisted together, then probably heatshrinked over.
Yes, and twisted is best inside the chassis. Keep them away from the power supply wiring.
Solder all the strands carefully, or use crimp lugs. The Raychem is fine too, single or doubled.

Last edited by rayma; 19th June 2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 19th June 2017, 01:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Yes, and twisted is best inside the chassis. Keep them away from the power supply wiring.
Solder all the strands carefully, or use crimp lugs. The Raychem is fine too, single or doubled.
Thanks as always rayma, I went with the doubled Raychem.
Fast response was handy as I was just working on it now.

I used some cut down 3M copper lugs, and at the speaker terminal end they'll be wrapped and soldered directly.

Is it better that they are all twisted together or in L/R pairs?
Or no matter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable2s.jpg (229.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg cable1s.jpg (89.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 19th June 2017, 01:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

twisted
Quote:
I used some cut down 3M copper lugs, and at the speaker terminal end they'll be wrapped
and soldered directly. Is it better that they are all twisted together or in L/R pairs?
Good terminations are the most important part. I would keep the L and R twisted pairs
physically separate. Some amplifiers might have a problem with the parasitic cross-coupling.
Also a single well formed twisted pair will be less likely to interact with other circuitry.
It's hard enough to get just one tightly twisted pair right.

Last edited by rayma; 19th June 2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again, I've made them into separate L/R twisted pairs now.
I will heatshrink L/R separately and maybe solder over the crimped connections thinly before soldering into the board since you say the terminations are important

What's the purpose of the individually tinned strands? Speaker wiring seems to often be bare coppper while most internal amplifier wiring I've seen has the bare strands tinned, often including small-signal. I've wondered if it matters.

My guess was tinning gives it more corrosion resistance in the long term, while not tinning gives more flexibility for non-fixed wiring, but that's just mechanical and I've wondered if there are electrical differences too.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What's the purpose of the individually tinned strands?
Tinning helps prevent corrosion, which copper will do quickly when exposed to oxygen,
causing poor connections. Gas-tight crimped connections on bare copper are ok.

Last edited by rayma; 19th June 2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 19th June 2017, 12:47 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Tinning makes soldering easy, so wire for use within equipment is often tinned. It makes little difference for wires which are to be clamped, so wire for use between equipment is often left bare. Simple twisted pair is fine for speaker wiring within equipment. If it doesn't run near the PSU it probably doesn't even need to be a particularly tight twist. I am not sure what the heatshrink is for - I would not bother. Keep some distance between the two channels; definitely do not twist them together!
Old 19th June 2017, 01:21 PM   #9
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Keep some distance between the two channels; definitely do not twist them together!
care to elaborate as to why? at speaker level if channels interact because of wiring proximity can we regard the amp as stable?
Old 19th June 2017, 01:31 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Nothing to do with amp stability. Simply interchannel crosstalk. Why deliberately degrade this just so the amp looks tidy inside?

Speaker wire okay from relay to speaker terminals?Hide this!Advertise here!