Speaker wire okay from relay to speaker terminals? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 12:43 PM   #11
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

There´s "proximity" and "proximity"
A couple parallel wires an inch away or more can have how much parasitic capacitance coupling between them? 1pF ... 5 pF? ... same as 0

Now if you tightly *twist* them, copper to copper may close down to 1 or 2 mm, with a nice plastic dielectric between them ... mutual capacitance can become 50 times as much, and become significant.

FWIW Radio transmitter gain stages used to be "neutralized" , meaning "made stable", by feeding back some RF out of phase and in a controlled way by using "gimmick capacitors" .... 2 short pieces of wire (and I mean *short*, 1/2" or less) , twisted together more or less tightly.
So wire to wire capacitance is a very real and useful phenomenon.

Notice value and position of the gimmick capacitor Cpk:
Click the image to open in full size.

Is a 0.1pF capacitor significant?

You bet

Quote:
You sometimes see such a connection made by means of a "gimmick" capacitor merely consisting of two wires twisted together.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th June 2017, 01:04 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Interchannel crosstalk from speaker wires is more likely to come from inductive coupling.

Twisting a pair of wires is likely to raise capacitance but this should not be a problem. Given that the load is low impedance when compared to the line characteristic impedance it is line inductance which dominates - and this is minimised by keeping the wires close together.
Old 19th June 2017, 04:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nothing is better than a good cheap superconductor. If below -270 °C, still better.

Last edited by Osvaldo de Banfield; 19th June 2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 21st June 2017, 03:55 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have already twisted them into separate L/R pairs as I said, and they will travel to the terminals separately without contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I am not sure what the heatshrink is for - I would not bother. Keep some distance between the two channels; definitely do not twist them together!
They pass under a heatsink, it's hot (Class A).
Wouldn't exceed the temp-rating of the insulation though, so I can skip that if not needed or undesirable for some reason. I didn't have a temp rating for the other wire which is why I considered some secondary insulation initially.

I'll keep some distance between them as advised.

Hide this!Advertise here!