Best Snap in Capacitors for Power Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking for the best sounding snap in capacitors for power amplifier use, lets say 10,000uF 63V, I know they are getting better but snap ins still lag behind decent screw terminal capacitors. Does anyone know of a great sounding and performing snap in capacitor?
NB: If you don't "believe" or cannot hear that power supply capacitors can influence sound quality, please don't bother posting, I'm looking for experience not opinion or someones pet theory.

I don't have pet theories - well I do actually; I have a theory that my cat is very fond of me.

As for capacitors, I am afraid I just go for the boring non-pet theory derived from the low frequency approximation of Maxwell's equations, more commonly known as circuit theory. This boring theory tells me that the most important things for a PSU cap are the capacitance value and working voltage, closely followed by the ripple current rating. Get these wrong and the sound quality will certainly be "influenced". Unfortunately I can offer no experience of getting these wrong.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Objectively speaking just look for the lowest ESR/ESL you can find, highest ripple current rating, and 3000hr life rating or better at 105C.

Figuring out whether a cap indeed has a sound is something you will have to do on your own. In the past I was convinced that adding a small film cap across the electrolytic was beneficial in some cases but can result in potential resonances with the capacitor ESL. (A small resistor in series with the film cap may help)

Be aware that you have landed in an engineering/physics oriented environment and the answers you get to the question you posed will probably not be what you were looking for.

Capacitor quality is important from an objective standpoint and hopefully will answer your need for a capacitor that does not adversely impact the [sonic] performance of your amplifier.

My preferred brands are Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, and Vishay.

Hi, I'm looking for the best sounding snap in capacitors for power amplifier use, lets say 10,000uF 63V, I know they are getting better but snap ins still lag behind decent screw terminal capacitors. Does anyone know of a great sounding and performing snap in capacitor?
NB: If you don't "believe" or cannot hear that power supply capacitors can influence sound quality, please don't bother posting, I'm looking for experience not opinion or someones pet theory.

For a good quality industrial cap which also sounds really good PMG-SI series from Vishay:

http://www.mouser.it/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/MAL225658103E3/?qs=9jMkQ3H923JaxDvn06N5wQ%3D%3D

Also a good Choice are Elna LAO and Nichicon KG (best ones are the top serie with copper terminals, Type III aka Super Through).

But the absolute best are Mundorf AGs, IMHO.

I too think I have a pet theory.
I am pretty sure I have proved conclusively that I don't own any pets. But that is an untested opinion.

But back to the weird topic.

All amplifiers benefit from using local supply rail decoupling.
If that decoupling is omitted, or placed in the wrong positions, or uses badly selected components, then the amplifier willl be affected by the PSU.

It is in this bad/omitted decoupling situation that the audience may hear differences in the capacitors used in the main PSU.

It is my opinion that fitting the correct decoupling removes virtually all audio sound effects brought about by medium frequency current demands and higher.
That just leaves bass quality within the PSU control. High current capability at low frequencies comes from high capacitance. If this holds up at very low frequencies then bass frequencies won't droop audibly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.