Wish to build 7 m. long IC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First , my apology for posting this under forum of Analog Line Level, as I don't find forum for Cables.
I wish to build 7 mt. long interconnect for my system to connect my preamp to amp. Presently I am using Cardas Hexlink Golden Five RCA of 5 meter length. I wish to build 7 mt long pair IC and to substantially upgrade at the same time.

My system primarily is tube Preamp Reimyo Harmonix , Tube amp Superamp AE25 signature (by Cary Audio ), speakers ARCA by Cadence ( Electrostatic Hybrid) , CD player (as transport ) by Cary Audio plus Bryston DAC .
Other ICs on system are KimberKable Select 1030.
While I find my present set up very satisfying , I feel the Cards IC connecting my Pre to Amp is the week link. So wish to upgrade. Also I may upgrade my amp to tube monoblocks in future, so need to increase length from 5 to 7 mt.

I would appreciate suggestions from here as to
1. Which wire or cable to select to buy
2. What would be good match of RCA connectors
3. For terminations , is it worth to give to some professional or service center at a cost of about 100-150 per pair ?
My budget would be $800 in wires and RCA connectors , hardwares plus termination charges.
Thanks

Last edited:
Copper is good enough.

Find a coax that has at least double the copper in the Return compared to the core.
I would also try to find a metalised foil, or metal foil, for better HF attenuation of interference. Both of these would be ovelaid with a woven copper braid of low resistance/high cross sectional area.

Some 75ohm aerial cable is good, but there is a lot of variety. Check the specification of each.
And make sure your source/s can drive the cable capacitance.

To get a substantial upgrade from audiophile cable you need to spend a lot less money and buy some proper cable instead, as AndrewT suggests. You may well be right in considering your current ICs to be a weak link. Budget for about $5-10 per cable, including connectors, and you should get much better results.

We don't have a cable forum. We don't have a capacitor forum, even though capacitors are more important than cables. We don't have a circuit forum, even though circuits are more important than anything (apart from speakers); instead we talk about circuits in most of the other forums.

DF96,
Sorry , I did not follow you when you said "Budget for about $5-10 per cable".
Did you mean to say $5-10 per foot length of IC cable ? I suppose so.
Presently I am looking at 3 options within Neotech :
Neotech NEI-3002 UP-OCC at $9.76/Ft,
NEI-3001 III at $14.60/Ft and
NEI-3003 III at $5.90/Ft.

Sorry, I forgot you need 7m cables. $5-10 would be for short (~1m) cables. Maybe $10-15 per cable?

As a general rule, for audio cables you get the opposite of what you pay for: the cheaper the cable (within reason) the better it will be at conveying an audio signal without harming it. Hi-end cables are very efficient at doing what they are designed to do: conveying money from your wallet to their wallet.

Is it possible to measure capacitance of a cable or an IC with RCA termination? I have a capacitance meter . I understand that it is better to select a cable for IC with low capacitance. Can someone guide me how to measure ?
I see that most cable specs are not very detailed and not always mention value of capacitance.

Ok , I got it. But like JMF says , one got to have all cables first on the bench . Unfortunately , cable mfrs don't seem to be sharing their specs or data to a meaningful details.
This may be one of the reasons for lots of "snake oil" theory doing rounds in areas of audio cables .

You might ask your question over at the https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/bbs.html
An inmate there called Duster is often recommending some fairly inexpensive DIY cables. It might be worth contacting him.

VH Audio sells a twisted pair called V-Twist that I have used in a 4 meter length with good results. https://www.vhaudio.com/v-twist-cu24.html I terminated with the KLE RCA plugs. Easy to do if you can solder. The specifications are posted clearly on the website.

He also has a V-Quad bulk cable https://www.vhaudio.com/v-quad-cu24.html

I've used this stuff as shielded hook-up wire but it looks like it might be great for long runs for ICs. I have some somewhere and will measure the capacitance if interested. https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/87-mogami-cryo-treated-interconnect-speaker-cable

Finally, this shielded twisted pair of mil-spec wire sounds nice to me but it is somewhat hard to strip the Kapton covering. It is silver plated copper wire and shield. Has a high capacitance of 94pf/foot.
Here is an example of what I'm referring to:
10 feet 16 AWG Shielded Silver Plated Polyimide Film Kapton Wire Twisted Pair
I usually use the 22-20 gauge stuff for the normal length interconnects . Usual termination is with the Neutrik Pro-Fi RCAs

I had checked out VH Audio V-Twist Cu24 , and you are right it has all aspects nicely laid down in their site. I wish that would be like industry standard . Though, I find it's not shielded , OD is 4.75 mm (rather thin) , capacitance very good at 11 pF/Ft , recommended for IC with XLR but not RCA. May be due to not shielded . I think I might need shielded cable due to longer length and RCA. Also would be nice to have slightly larger OD for simply better mechanical strength .

DF96,
If I can recall Neotech 3001 III is about 23 or 29 pF per foot , so I thought that was too high . But from what you indicate it should be within normal range for a shielded cable.

OD is 4.75 mm (rather thin) , capacitance very good at 11 pF/Ft , recommended for IC with XLR
This is telling you it is suitable for a balanced impedance connection. It is not a statement on suitability of connector styles.

note also DF96's warning about capacitance outside that 50 to 100pF/m range.
11pF/ft ~ 36pF/m is quite low.
Screened will have higher capacitance and for a long cable I would choose the screened twisted pair.

First , my apology for posting this under forum of Analog Line Level, as I don't find forum for Cables.
I wish to build 7 mt. long interconnect for my system to connect my preamp to amp. Presently I am using Cardas Hexlink Golden Five RCA of 5 meter length. I wish to build 7 mt long pair IC and to substantially upgrade at the same time.

My system primarily is tube Preamp Reimyo Harmonix , Tube amp Superamp AE25 signature (by Cary Audio ), speakers ARCA by Cadence ( Electrostatic Hybrid) , CD player (as transport ) by Cary Audio plus Bryston DAC .
Other ICs on system are KimberKable Select 1030.
While I find my present set up very satisfying , I feel the Cards IC connecting my Pre to Amp is the week link. So wish to upgrade. Also I may upgrade my amp to tube monoblocks in future, so need to increase length from 5 to 7 mt.

I would appreciate suggestions from here as to
1. Which wire or cable to select to buy
2. What would be good match of RCA connectors
3. For terminations , is it worth to give to some professional or service center at a cost of about 100-150 per pair ?
My budget would be $800 in wires and RCA connectors , hardwares plus termination charges.
Thanks

Here is a cable worth looking at:
Stereo Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Thanks AndrewT for your guidance.
I am now inclined to broadly look for a cable that is with OCC copper conductors with or without silver plating, twisted pair, shielded with Cu braid and may be additionally with some Teflon or Mylar tape, with capacitance in range of 50-100 pF per Meter.

JMFahey,
My source is CD transport plus DAC feeding Analog signal to a Preamp Where the 7 met. long IC will be connected on one side and othe end of the ame IC will be connected to a tube amp.
Presently I have a 5 meter length IC connected in this set up , which now I wish to replace with 7 meter Length IC . I do not find any issue with 5 mt IC.
Looking to specs of my gears, I find :
Preamp : Input impedance 50 k ohm, Output Impedence 560 ohm
CD transport and DAC : I find no data on Impedence on their specs
Tube Amp : input Impedence 150 k ohm

Unfortunately , no data on Impedence of CD transport with me .
Is the preamp data relevant here ?

Last edited:
Thanks AndrewT for your guidance.
I am now inclined to broadly look for a cable that is with OCC copper conductors with or without silver plating, twisted pair, shielded with Cu braid and may be additionally with some Teflon or Mylar tape, with capacitance in range of 50-100 pF per Meter.

You earlier noted this one from Neotech. It does meet your above desire and is at a good price and within your earlier stated budget.
Neotech NEI-3003 MK III, Sonic Craft

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.