Wish to build 7 m. long IC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Radni said:
I decided to order one pair of 7 mt. cable from Blue Jeans , which costs only a fraction of what I would have spent on so called "conventional" audio cables.
No, Blue Jeans make conventional cables. They even have conventional engineering facts to explain their cables. It is the expensive cables which you were originally looking at which are unconventional, based as they are on things other than the laws of physics and known psychoacoustics.

Only thing it does not say is about quality or purity of copper conductor and shield: according to me something should have been stated.
That is because they know it is irrelevant to all possible uses of their cable.

You are right . As I more exposed to 2 ch audio field and less to electrical engg , physics , etc , I wrongly termed expensive cables as conventional . Actually the coex cables as being discussed here would far exceed in terms of volumes compared to the expensive audio cables.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Belden 1505a and 1694a are also appropriate.

1694a is an rg6, which is thicker and stiffer (larger bend radius) than 1505a, which is rg59

Mentioned above:
1695a is the plenum rated version of 1694a and is significantly more expensive.
1505f is a more flexible version if 1505a.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Check out rawcable.com (owned by blue jeans cable) for pricing by the foot.

I decided to order one pair of 7 mt. cable from Blue Jeans , which costs only a fraction of what I would have spent on so called "conventional" audio cables.
I will also be able to do A-B test against my current Cardas cable.
I was amazed to see the details in specs of Belden Coex on site , though much beyond my understanding . But I could see vital details on capacitance , RF , impedance , coductor, shield , insulation , also cross sections and thickness of them, etc ...... now with what I see under Belden specs are very reveling to me.
If I am happy with Belden Coex cable , I am sure to drastically change my thinking on cables.
Glad you did :)

Mind you, I don´t think the particular Audio Grade coax you linked to is *bad* , simply it´s probably "not better".

"Could" it be better?
Maybe, why not, simply they do not back that claim with anything strong.

Not sure how this will sound to you, it´s meant in a good way, but for me seeing something "gorgeously built" is nice on the aesthetic side, does not mean *at all* that it will work any better on the audible side.

Lots of Audiophile stuff work that way: visually beautiful, with a "nice story" behind, but no hard data to back their claims.

Last edited:
Belden 1505F is a 75ohms coaxial cable.

Use any RCA plugs that are resistant to corrosion and make good mechanical contact.

A few (very few) plug manufacturers claim they have 75ohms RCA plug in their range, but the physical size of the pin of an RCA makes 75ohms characteristic impedance virtually impossible to manufacture.

Good mechanical fit does cost money, so don't expect $1/pair plugs to have a long and reliable life. Some cheap plugs are mechanically attrocious, even though they are gold plated.

I suggest you buy a few different cheaper pairs and see how well they are made. Then buy lots of the good one to keep you going for years.

Three areas to look at carefully:
How round is the pin and what size is it.
How round is the barrel and how well does it grip onto the socket.
It's worth looking at how the return tag is crimped onto the barrel outer. Some need a solder dab to ensure long life electrical contact at the crimp.

Note these three points are all about the mechanical construction.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.