separating varnished laminations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a motor rewind shop nearby? We used one for European tube OP transformers - mostly Grundig, Nordmende and TFK stuff. After the lamination removal and core recovery by the motor rewind guys, we rewound the transformers core on an old Meyer (Mayer? - been too long...) coil winder. A fly-fishing supply place yielded the fiber tape for wrapping each successive coil. We used purple, just like some of the originals.

I dunno what they used to remove the laminations - but the transformer went back to them for the dip and vacuum varnish. $18 a transformer total, or 3 for $30, and this was in the early-mid 80s. Your experience today will probably be different.

I have one Telefunken OP transformer with newspaper stuck to one side after the vacuum varnish. The article refers to the "upcoming 1984 US Presidential election"....:eek: Yeah, that far back..

My de-varnishing set.

Here is my set, and 4 cores cleaned. A couple of days inside the glass can, and the varnish vanishes...

Attachments

• Cloro.JPG
    Cloro.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 129
Well, I just dropped a transformer into a bath of paint thinner ans methyl ethyl ketone. Will report back in a week or so and give a report....

Still looking for a good source of chloroform...from what Banfield has shown, that stuff is the heat when it comes to freeing up laminations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.