Amorphous vs. Nanocrystalline core for PSU chokes (subjective opinions only please)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently discovered and was amazed by the sonic differences in a power supply choke when switching two chokes with identical basic parameters, but from GOSS to amorphous core.

I wonder though, has anyone compared chokes on amorphous versus nanocrystalline cores and what subjective sonic differences he/she has experienced? Is it worth trying?
The winding on a nanocrystalline core will be different though, because of its higher permeability and lower flux density.

First started experimenting with Lundahls. Very nice, only the core appears too small for my taste thus the improvement from moving on to AMCC400 was very substantial.

An interesting observation: in choke input, the sonic character seems largely determined by the first choke . Downstream chokes need not be amorphous.

Nanocrystal cores are not so easy to come by, at least not for me.

Thank your the useful comment. I have LC filters everywhere in my power supplies, without having downstream chokes.

We'll be ordering nanocrystalline cores soon, so we'll probably give them a try as chokes too. When of course, time permits :D

Do you mean real subjective opinions, as in blind listening tests?
Or audiophile subjective opinions, as in unsupported statements?

Both are welcome. If you have any experience with power supply chokes, please share. ;)

What sonic differences?
Can you please describe them in detail?

The amorphous choke gives me a sense of immediacy, a feel of a faster attack and micro detail resolution, that has no drawbacks such as listening fatigue. The other great effect is heard in choir music where multiple voices singing a same note, but different timbre are better distinguished, by individual timbres but also by the positioning in the sound stage. There is further positioning precision in the later and also an increase of depth layers.

When the silicon steel choke is placed back, it feels like it gives a special kind of warmth to the whole frequency range, but it also gives a detail masking effect and a slower and duller sound. It affects the pace and rhythm in a negative way as well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.