Avoid LittleDiode ! (UK)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have purchased obsolete small signal transistors and ICs and had no problem. Yes the price was high compared with current production that you can buy anywhere but scarcity does drive up value and it was my choice.
A funny was that they advertised an "integrated circuit" number ECL83, so I purchased it as I was collecting them. Sure enough a genuine NOS valve arrived, and it worked!
I guess is, like many ebay traders, he just flogs what he finds, not necessarily knowing anything about it.
It could be the case but I was not happy with their reply when I applied for a refund . A very bitter experience . I my self incurred personal cost involved in shipping back the items through DHL. It will be the responsibility of the seller to verify parts he is selling . The price is also very high in little diode .
Most of the products on the website do not have the actual images of the shipped product .

You can say the same for ePray, paybuddy as well.
But they seem to offer a service that people rely upon just like the governments of the world :)
It is a difficult situation, they are trying to sell NOS but have no way to test or verify the device. I recall the incoming inspection department at a Motorola factory I worked at. They ended up shutting it down, because it was just too expense to run, held up meeting customer deliverables. Custom fixtures, Tek curve tracers, you name it. They took on a different QA strategy, push back on mfg's

the incoming inspection department at a Motorola factory I worked at. They ended up shutting it down,

We had an incoming inspection department at our plant too. It lasted until the late 90's or early 2000's, although it shrunk in size and staff every year after SMD became the norm for most products. The real reason was that incoming quality got good enough that it didn't perform a useful service any longer.

QA incoming shut down while I was their ~1987, after they setup the smt lines for the MCX100 model. FR4 and a ceramic line. It was exciting to see the new mfg technology of the future. Just before I left they installed a big shake table, remember seeing them pour a lot of concrete for the base. I took a peek, seeing tall heatsink's full of TO-3's.
I am not sure if they sold the land but in mid late 90's the factory was bull dozed now it is tall commercial banking buildings. Might have become property managers. I think they said FU to Canada when Canada did not grant Motorola & CN/CP telecom (microwave network from sea to sea) a cell phone carrier licence. Brian Mulroney PM

The 1 million square foot plant where I worked is now an office park with most of the space rented out to medical coding / insurance companies, and Magic Leap, a VR headset company funded by Google's checkbook. Motorola Solutions still has about 200 people in a small rented corner of the place. I still visit every July.

When I joined the engineering group they had a giant shaker table fed by a monster rack mount tube amp of some sorts. There were several canned "profiles" stored on magnetic tape cartridges. My favorite was "military Jeep." Turn that up to 10 and it would shake anything apart.....I think under dash mobile radios had to pass on 2.something and the Convertacom console that I was working on only needed to pass 1.5 or so. I cranked one up just to watch is self destruct.

Sometime a few years later it was all ripped out and replaced with some modernized machine that didn't really "shake." I never used it though. They started requiring special training to play with the big toys. In the early 80's I could just walk in and fire up the X-ray machine. That amp would have made for a mean subwoofer amp.

Attention when you measured the transistor with your peak atlas dca75 pro it is not made to measure power transistors! It is done that for the transisitors of small signals, the values ​​are often errata with the transistors of power not on that it is fake that they sold to you. I have this tester is I use it for the small ones transistors and just to check the power ones but in curve plotter mode only the small signal transistors will be right! The DCA 75 pro does not draw enough current to measure them

Bonjour uchu007,

Attention when you measured the transistor with your peak atlas dca75 pro it is not made to measure power transistors! It is done that for the transisitors of small signals, the values ​​are often errata with the transistors of power not on that it is fake that they sold to you.

Of course, each electronic equipment should be used carefully within limitations. DCA 75 goes up to 12 mA. While it isn't design to give the actual Hfe under proper bias operation for power transistor, it can give a rough idea of it's range at low Ic value.

The first picture below is from the 2SB688 SAVANTIC datasheet. As you notice, Hfe range starts at 10 mA, and Hfe increase only slowly with Ic.

the second is a Hfe measurement of used Toshiba 2SB688. As you can see, despite the DCA75 limitations, the values are quite consistent.

I've done the same measurement with some ON 2SD1943 from Mouser. the Hfe were quite the same : 117/118/119/119/120/120/120/120/121/121/122/122.

For sure, DCA 75 can't be use to match accurately power transistors vs Hfe parameter. But to give an idea of Hfe range, it isn't that bad you describe.

Furthermore, I post that thread to warn our DIY community against Little Diode practices. While they advertise selling Toshiba factory transistors, they send me ISC (chinese) devices, with the specs I describe in the first post.

Whith such practices, my opinion is they are swindlers, definitly. It seems I'm not the only one . . .

Take care, Jerome

Attachments

• Hfe 2SB688.jpg
    Hfe 2SB688.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Graph Hfe 2SB688.jpg
    Graph Hfe 2SB688.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 267
Glad I came across this thread.

I was almost tempted to place an order with Little Diode UK for the NLA lateral MOSFET 2SJ160 which they proudly state as having in stock (new Hitachi) for USD 12.42 each.

:eek:

Rgds
Mayank

I bought some irf240 from them and they lasted 10 minutes then blew up when I turned my soldering off. The glitch down the mains must have blown them.
So I replaced them with some from RS Components and try as I might I couldnt blow them up. I suspect the die on the fakes was smaller and had lesser breakdown voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.