diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Parts Express DOTD 20-0-20 200W transformer $5 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/30795-parts-express-dotd-20-0-20-200w-transformer-5-a.html)

officeboy 23rd March 2004 10:26 PM

Parts Express DOTD 20-0-20 200W transformer $5
 
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...30&dotd=032304

Figured some here might be interested.

Esp with all the gain clone kits being sold and all.

Peter Daniel 23rd March 2004 11:01 PM

With specified dimensions, it can't be 200VA transformer.

I have exactly same size unit from Frost and it is 90VA, which seems more appropriate for that size (its 30-0-30 VAC BTW).

Bill Fitzpatrick 23rd March 2004 11:37 PM

What do you mean 30-0-30? The PE page says it's 20-0-20.

Aunkst 23rd March 2004 11:59 PM

is 20-0-20 at 90va adequate for a LM3875?

officeboy 24th March 2004 12:11 AM

Well an LM3875 can't pull more then 5A. With a 4ohm load that's what you have at max power. It's about 3A with an 8ohm load.
(btw this is max power consumption at 29DCV)

So you would be better off with a 120va transformer per channel but I think you would have no problems getting this to work.
I have a GC that uses 1 75va per channel, but at normal listening levels only draws 0.3A from each secondary.

Peter Daniel 24th March 2004 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
What do you mean 30-0-30? The PE page says it's 20-0-20.
My Frost is like that.

leadbelly 24th March 2004 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peter Daniel
With specified dimensions, it can't be 200VA transformer.

I have exactly same size unit from Frost and it is 90VA, which seems more appropriate for that size (its 30-0-30 VAC BTW).

Peter, how sure are you about this? I was always under the impression that the guidelines for rating transformers on dimensions or weight were very broad, like +/- 50% or more (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I know a lot of surplus parts are spec'd by "eye").

Peter Daniel 24th March 2004 02:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've seen many transformers, and 200VA can't be that small.
I just happen to have few 200VA rated EI transformers and they are twice as big.

Of course I may be mistaken, but I rather doubt it.

Peter Daniel 24th March 2004 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aunkst
is 20-0-20 at 90va adequate for a LM3875?
The amp will work with that, but you might use separate transformers per channel.

leadbelly 24th March 2004 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I've seen many transformers, and 200VA can't be that small.
I just happen to have few 200VA rated EI transformers and they are twice as big.

Of course I may be mistaken, but I rather doubt it.

Yeah, I guess I buy that. I have a couple of those that I bought last year from PE. They are slightly larger and heftier than other 100 VA xfrmrs I have, but are dwarfed by the 300 VA units I own. But at $5/each, even using 2/channel looks mighty good, if you can live with the cosmetics.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2