Audio Parts in Shanghai?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I will be in Shanghai on business for the first time in a month or so. My schedule will undoubtedly include several cultural sites, but I may also have a few hours to spare. If so, I'd love to spend the time shopping for inexpensive audio knobs and feet, fasteners, connectors, and other hardware and machined parts that, frankly, are available from Chinese sellers on ebay. I'm less interested in tubes, caps, resistors and the like because of concerns about quality and counterfeits. Is there a place where the parts I'm looking for can easily be found?

Incidentally, I've been to the Sim Lim towers in Singapore, which I was told would have similar items for sale, and found little of interest (most of the stuff sold there were cheap electronics-related goods, such as cell phone cables and cases, disk players and the like, not parts). If that's what's available in Shanghai, I'd prefer to see another museum instead.

And while I'm asking, if you do have a favorite cultural site in Shanghai please pass along your recommendation.

Regards,
Scott

I'd suggest you do all your audio parts shopping on Taobao when you first arrive. Then you'll have a load of boxes to repatriate when you depart. I've visited Shanghai several times (its under an hour by train from where I am) and have yet to find anywhere which deals specifically with audio parts - I'd guess Shenzhen is the place which may well have such items. But so many of the Shenzhen sellers also deal on Taobao that it hardly makes any sense to go trawling in meatspace.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Abraxalito:

Interesting! How efficient is the Chinese postal system? Should I expect very small packages will take more than a week to arrive at a hotel in Shanghai? I imagine that there could easily be 5 or 6 packages.

Fun stuff, low risk, sounds like a plan!

Thank you,
Scott

With Taobao you tend to be dealing with couriers rather than the postal system. In my experience nearly always delivery is within 3 days of placing the order. Sometimes they're out of stock though in which case you'll want feedback sooner rather than later, hopefully your hotel concierge will be able to handle that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.