Cheapest Parts Shipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I occasionally have a need for a cheap part or two and really hate paying more for shipping than the part itself. While searching among the big suppliers, it seems that Digikey may be cheapest, w/ $3.39 for < 8 oz via USPS. Interestingly, Digikey has a free shipping policy with no minimum that I just learned about if you are willing to pay via check and not in a hurry, excerpt from their terms and conditions provided. Given these facts for both an expedited shipping at the $3.39 and the free shipping when feeling particularly patient, are these the best deal in terms of minimizing shipping damage on very small parts orders?

"6. Shipping Charges. Except as otherwise provided on the Site, (1) shipping or freight charges and insurance will be paid by the customer*, (2) all sales are made FOB Digi-Key's warehouse in Thief River Falls, MN, USA, and (3) shipping or freight charges from Digi-Key's warehouse in Thief River Falls, MN, USA are prepaid and added to the invoice, billed collect or billed to a third party. Shipping Cost Estimator

* When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to all addresses in the U.S. and Canada."

Thanks for this information. I too am reluctant to place an order for a part which has twice/thrice the shipping amount. The project then stays on the "I'll-get-to-it-one-day" rack.

I'm ordering a $1.86 SPST switch from Digikey today - which has been pending for a long time : )

Rgds
Mayank

I can tell you that it appears that Digikey would have the cheapest shipping for very small orders at $3.39 for First Class, but I chose it when checking out and they ended up shipping at Priority rate of $7.50. It was a single potentiometer. I was a bit peeved about it, one may have to call and speak to a salesperson to ensure they don't do this. I have not tried the free shipping with check payment, but will eventually. Like you, don't like waiting months to get a large enough order to make it worth it.

I have completed several free shipping orders to Digikey and have been pleased with the approach. I am in GA and they are in MN and the orders have taken exactly 7 calendar days each time. Drop the check in the mail on Friday, FEDEX Ground box on my doorstep the following Friday. Though I sometimes think their pricing might be a bit higher than Mousers. Regardless, very satisfying to know I did not have to pay for shipping costs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.