Alps Stepped Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is quite a hot topic lately. I'm looking for resonably priced, high-performance stepped attenuators for BrianGT's chip amp as well as my built Foreplay and a future Grounded Grid build.

I stumbled across the 4X23alps at Triode Electronics. Anyone have any opinions on this item?

It seems to have four poles, so is this series or ladder?

If it includes little PC boards for mounting the resistors and ea. deck has only 7 pins for connecting those resistors

The other pins are on the bottom side of the board where you can't see them,
that's where the second PC board solders to the switch.

With the PC boards provided you can make a stereo ladder attenuator,
but of course you skip the boards and wire it however you like.

Just received this the other day. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• front_naked.jpg
    front_naked.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 859
Certainly not as pretty. I've been studying this thing for about a half hour, being very unfamiliar with attenuators and voltage dividing networks. But it appears to be a 23 position ladder just as Ned says.

It will require a two wire link to connect the grounds between both boards. Here's the other board which should make more sense. From top to bottom, the large pads should be in, out, ground, in, out, ground.

The far left pin connects to the wiper.

Attachments

• board2.jpg
    board2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 741
I wouldn't call it smooth. There's a little roughness felt through little plastic knob, stolen from my foreplay, as the ball slaps in and out of the holes. The holes have pretty sharp edges.

Might feel better with some more lube, wear and/or a heavier knob. Assuming it doesn't exhibit the problem you guys found with those blue attenuators you guys found in Asia, I could be happy with it.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
BDP said:
The Elma switch not only feels good, but it will last. It's been 5 years on this preamp and its as quiet as it was new, very recommended.

Good to know about the longivity. I am looking to do a group order of the Elma 2 channel ladder switch:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30468
Wiki:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Stepped+Attenuator+Group+Order

I was looking to put together a kit with resistors, considering Vishay/Dale RN60D resistors for it. I ordered resistors for mine, and if it all seems to work good, I will finalize the group order.

--
Brian

I am playing around with this thing too... I thought the wiring would go something like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Since Ri1 is already a short-circuit track, thus giving you the 0 ohms for position 1.

As you turn the thing clockwise, you end up with the path of the INPUT on position 23 as Ri23 about 17.7K to GND, and about 7K for Ro23 to OUTPUT.

Is that right at all?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.