Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2004, 11:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY

Why don't you go a step further (towards natural sound?) and stay away from teflon too?
I havent heard it my-self so i wanna give it a try VS my current cable. The current stuff im using is a cat5 multibraid made to chris ven haus recipee. I'm not to sure what the insualtion is as they were offcuts i had from a massive job wiring a libary a few years ago works well enough though, but as im redo'ing the binding posts on my amp and speakers i thought i'd see if some higher purity CU teflon insulated cable would work any better for me, worth a shot if its cheap enough.
Old 21st March 2004, 03:43 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
What do you recommend? Cotton?
According to the dielectric constant tables at K-Tek, cotton has a dielectric constant of 1.3-1.4. Better than Teflon's 2.0.

Silk is listed as 2.5-3.5.

Some folks have been using cotton piping (typically found at fabric stores) with good results.

se
Old 21st March 2004, 03:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
How about a paper dialectric? I've been wondering how this might be achieved...
I suppose you could take some plain ol' brown kraft paper shipping tape (the kind with the gum adhesive that you have to wet), lay your strands side-by-side down a length of it, moisten it, and fold it over the strands. Something similar has been recommended using plastic shipping tape.

se
Old 21st March 2004, 03:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovan

Are you sure that tefzel is the same as PTFE? I had the impression that it wasn´t the same?
Hi,

There are many derivatives from PTFE. Tefzel is called ETFE and has a dielectric constant of app 2.5. Here is the datasheet:

http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/downloads/pdf/h96518.pdf

I am using this 26 AWG Tefzel isolated wire for interlinks with good results. But it is also silver plated copper wire and not solid silver.

Cheers
Old 21st March 2004, 04:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

You can make the wire you like.

Take the bare wire you like, (bus wire, the speaker cable of your choice - stipped of insulation, something else you like) and then purchase the sleeving you like.

I solder the first end, cut to length, slide the sleeving over the wire, solder the other end. Cutting teflon tubing is easier than stripping teflon wire. This works well for point-to-point projects.

I use teflon for it's high voltage, high current, high temp properities. Teflon wire will survive a dumb mistake best.

Aud_Mot

Hide this!Advertise here!