[INDIA] Group Amp project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2004, 04:14 PM   #1
Rahul is offline Rahul  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rahul
Default [INDIA] Group Amp project

Dear Friends,
Hi!
I have been following various threads at DIYAUDIO. I was very happy to find a keen group here making its presence felt worldwide.
I wanted a power amp, unfortunately Indian manufacturers are very few and the amps are available ex stock only at few places. Imported quality stuff was beyond my pocket, Chinese stuff I was not interested to put money in. Looking at various options I came across some excellent discussions on Diyaudio. It was noticed that we had limited options in case of drivers but when it came to amplifier, components and other hardware we were in much better position .
Tarun has already done most of the legwork in finding us a good source of cabinets, knobs and PCB. Net is full of excellent designs. We at DIY have one of the best brains available to discuss and seek guidance.
I feel a high end amp project will be of interest to most of us. A mention about the project on another popular thread has bought very enthusiastic response from many of my friends. A group project will be beneficial to all those involved mainly in sourcing of components, avoiding pitfalls and to sustain our interest to its end.
I have short listed my requirements and would be taking steps to fulfill them,
I seek your co-operation in creation of an equipment we all can be proud of having DIYed . The joy of having equipment bearing 'Diyaudio - INDIA' logo will be ours and ours alone.
Thanks and regards
Rahul
Old 15th March 2004, 04:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If the posting needs to be under another heading I would request the moderator to kindly do the needful and excuse me for the error.
Rahul
Old 16th March 2004, 05:26 AM   #3
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

I am also thinking of building a good amp for my new Vifa-driver speaker project in the future. Exchanging ideas would be most welcome.
Old 16th March 2004, 06:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi! Vivek

I have identified 3 broad categories that fullfill most of our demand:

1) High end :This broadly includes designs like Class A, excellent Pass lab schematics and tube amps. Outout power max 25W.

2) High power amp for our sub and other ocassions. Design like one from Aussie amp, Randy Salones designs and others in range of 200-250W.

3)Medium power designs of 60-80W, like the AKSA kit.

I suggest we pick one good design and move towards its completion.

I look forward to all your comments and possibly photocopy of documention of other good designs so that we may be able to get their boards made here in India.
Regards
Rahul.
Old 16th March 2004, 07:29 AM   #5
sunil is offline sunil  India
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The project sounds good. To begin how are we going to protect the IP of the designers. The AKSA design is not available as a pcb. The only other I know which is reasonably priced for us here, in India & still does not infringe on IP is the Rod Elliot design. He sells the design & the PCB. So why don't we look at options that allow us to do such a thing.

All the other parts can be sourced locally, including the tranistsors, from rsindia.

cheers,
sunil
Old 16th March 2004, 07:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default help for car amplifier designing

hi friends,
i am also designing a car amplifier for my own car so if you any have a complate amplifier+smpsd designs with pcd design so please help me
Old 16th March 2004, 04:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi!
Good points Sunil.
As far as IP is concerned we need to take care while selection of the design. We go ahead only with those whose schematics are published and intended to be assembled by DIYers. This leaves us with few very good choices.
a) ESP and Nelson Pass.
b) Slone designs
c) Aussie amps
d) Elektor designs
e) JLH ckts.
Maybe few more. I seek more choices in this regard.

At present it is more important that we concentrate on one particular design. Important criteria while selection should also be the price to performance ratio as well as easy availability of components.
A single sided PCB. As it can be easily made in any city and I can always do the layout from schematics.

Least not we spend months collecting parts and project turn into 'Birbal ki Khichadi'.

My requiremnets have me leaning a bit towards Aussie amps N channel MOSFET Power amp design. Cause:
a)Simple single sided board
b)Good power, good references.
c)Cheap easily available MOSFET and rest of the components.
d)Guru Antony is there on Forum to help out. In fact he has lot of encouragement for people making their own layout of his designs.
Only thing lacking in this design is protection, an addon unit will be needed.

Himanshu you can always split the project into 2 parts
one make the amp and another do the SMPS. There are few designs of SMPS I would look for them. There are few sources of ferrites also.

It will be helpful if all my friends give their opinion on the subject so we can move ahead with the project.

Regards
Rahul

PS: Also checkout our thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...124#post350124

For my post on MOSFET availibility.
Old 16th March 2004, 05:30 PM   #8
corbato is offline corbato  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Rahul,

1. Most Pass design will require a 'scope to setup. Something that I suspect many of us don't have.

2. What is this Aussie Amp? Can I see a schematic somewhere?

3. Have you investigated the Leach Low TIM Amp? Lots of nice power.

4. JLH is a simple shot at building a nice high-end amp. All parts are easily available

Finally, how are we going to collaborate on this? A collective searching/buying of parts is one aspect. PCB's, as you have said correctly, can be made in any city or homebrewed. But it will be helpful to have a group PCB order.

If its tubes then I can organise some components.

Lets do it !!
Old 16th March 2004, 08:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Ashok as I was saying the choice would depend upon our requirements. Many Pass designs and JLH are biased for class A. No doubt for high end applications we would be hard pressed for better ckt. I remember studying JLH PCB sometime back, it is very nice and compact But for high power and possibilty of doubling up as sub amp we have to look at other designs.
When we go for high power levels Leach is very good but I felt it would be bit difficult to source NPN and PNP matched pairs specially considering group project. It is pretty difficult to get anything apart from TV, Tape ,CD,VCD and Invertor components in mkt. Similar is the situation at Delhi the quantity should be bulk only then shopkeeper will take some interest but forget about matched transistors.
Herein lies the beauty of N channel Mosfet design there are vast number of devices available. One type of transistor makes sourcing and matching easy also it gets good discount.
The site for this amp is:

http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/n-channe.htm

It appears manual downloading is disabled hence I am attaching a zip of schematics from my archive. Ashok you will also notice bare minimum of test instruments required.
While on topic I also suggest having a look at :

New high quality opamps...

The layout by Pelle is something I am thinking in terms of.
Designer Anthony Holton appears to have a very constructive attitude towards people using their PCB layout for his ckt designs.

Contd.....
Attached Files
File Type: zip nchaussieamp.zip (68.4 KB, 517 views)
Old 16th March 2004, 09:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

contd...

Ashok you have rightly pointed that PCB should be done at one place this we can decide upon it can be either Mumbai or here North. My personal observation is that work quality is better at Mumbai.

On sourcing part I suggest we make a list and check out best deals in our respective town for whole lot. We then collect all stuff at one central place. Here we do the sorting and kitting and dispatch the complete package to its location by Speed post. ( Inter state often there are excise hassels with private courier.)
This way we will save time and also will not have to run after loose ends.
We can also go in for partial kit having only the PCB and non electrolytes, resistors. ie need to purchase MOSFET and arrange caps from ones stock. If we take Auusie amp as example

Components:

I suggest Master electronics at LRM ( Lajpat Rai Mkt) shop 345 for 1% MFR resistor cost is Rs12/ per 100 minimum quantity is 200pcs. If we take 25kit trial run we have 9 value that comes to Rs216 for 25 kits , Rs 9 per kit with lot of spare left.
Similarly ceramic cased wirewound can be ordered fron Vellohm. They are very reasonable and perfrmance is also good. In past I have placed small quantity orders and recived them by mail. Service is good.

For capacitors we can shortlist BC components ex Philips or Keltron both I feel are good. At Pune Mr Vilas Rabde at BC component is a helpful person specially if its hobby. Dealers are also there in all major cities. Critical values I find 1000uF160V and the main Filter caps.
Blue box type AC caps by philips can be used in zobel network and Yellow CTR and similar cap at input.
This now leaves us with the main power transformer now this I feel one should arrange locally ie get it custom made on EI cores or look for a torroidal ones. Sending them by post does not appears to be practical.

MOSFET from IR (International Rectifier) are easily available.

Looking back now I find this project quite feasible as well as enjoyable. BTW I have done some kitting in past too.

I look forward to your suggestion and co operation to get the project going.

Regards
Rahul

Hide this!Advertise here!