Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2017, 03:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors

Hi folks,

Is there anyone here who has tried to find the signal direction of the common types of Z-foil resistors (TX2575, Charcroft CAR, Z201) with reference to the resistive layer (nude types) or printed text 'Z201' (encapsulated type)? Left to right or right to left?

I have my own observations, but will share them at a later stage in order not to affect on your opinion.
Old 7th January 2017, 04:08 PM   #2
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Z-foils are individually laser trimmed and we have no way of knowing how many of the shorting strips have actually been removed in a specifc resistor and at which positions along the foil. Since the trimming is the only possibly asymmetry found in Z-foils (otherwise the are of 100% symmetric construction) all bets are off that there could be a strategically better general orientation (that is, if you actually believe in such a thing, and even if when you do -- but remember audio is an AC signal -- then it would be circuit specific, so no generalized statements could be made).
Old 7th January 2017, 04:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am talking about hearing, not believing
At my bench both directions behave differently as sonic subtleties (TX2575)
Old 7th January 2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Gopher is offline Gopher  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Then you're imagining it. Memory tricks - wanting to hear something so you do. Tell me - how do you switch between one resistor and another? Mechanical switch? Jumper? Soldering? Any of those is likely to have more of an effect than the resistor.

Last edited by Gopher; 7th January 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 7th January 2017, 04:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am not a newbie who listens with eyes, believe me
Let's get back to the point
Old 7th January 2017, 04:59 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You are asking people if they have found something which does not exist. What is the point of this?

Even if these resistors were significantly asymmetric then which way the 'signal flows' would not be relevant; it would be which way the DC flows which would matter.

You are talking about "believing", but believing something which is not true.
Old 7th January 2017, 05:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

reaction - you still haven't told us how you switch the resistors in this test of yours from my previous post. Please enlighten us.
Old 7th January 2017, 05:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure that at any instant in time, current is flowing in one wire and out the other. Beyond that, I don't know what a sensible answer to the question would look like.
Old 7th January 2017, 05:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

to which question are you referring Conrad?
Old 7th January 2017, 05:48 PM   #10
nightyj is offline nightyj  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Vishay TX2575 and Charcroft Z-Foil are different but they all has the same direction . I am using them as I/V as on the picture it is clearly audible and easy to catch. Left one is the Vishay TX2575 .
Attached Images
File Type: png charcroft.png (801.7 KB, 509 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!