Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2017, 08:39 PM   #21
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

:-) yes, its like taking a rope to tow a car and wonder which end should go to that car in order for it to be the less prone to break.

//
Old 7th January 2017, 09:00 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

That example might even have some correlation, for example if both ends are terminated differently.

The resistor listeners would be more like changing the direction of the tow rope in the hope that one of the directions would make the hazard lights flash visibly brighter....

Regards,
Rundmaus

EDIT: And of course they would report they saw the difference in brightness with their own eyes, so who would object there is an influence?
Old 7th January 2017, 09:08 PM   #23
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

What about the next half-cycle?

Edit: that was in response to the "diagram" in post #10

Last edited by nezbleu; 7th January 2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:27 PM   #24
arpagon is offline arpagon  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
The Bulgarians have golden ears ....

//
Yeah, I'd prefer to have golden hands but since you said....
Old 8th January 2017, 06:39 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundmaus View Post
What is happening here: People need some visible property of their stuff, like direction of markings on components, thickness of speaker wires and so on which they can influence or change, believing that this changes the sound. The rest happens in the mind (willing to believe).

Regards,
Rundmaus
Thank you for your input, Rundmaus. Very valuable and on-topic.

Regards,
reaction
Old 8th January 2017, 07:43 AM   #26
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaction View Post
I am talking about hearing, not believing
At my bench both directions behave differently as sonic subtleties (TX2575)
Please show us your bench (circuit/construction) and more importantly, tell us about your test protocol.

I know of only one type of (non-polar) passive component that has a relevant asymmetry: some types of film capacitors where one end of the conductive element, the (metalized or solid metal) foil, covers the whole thing, and therefore should always be connected to the lower impedance side of the circuit it is used in, to avoid/reduce capacitive noise pickup and unwanted signal coupling. But of course it does not alter the signal itself.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:36 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
Please show us your bench (circuit/construction) and more importantly, tell us about your test protocol.
This is irrelevant to the question I asked. I need YOUR opinion, and if you do not have any, well...
Old 8th January 2017, 11:55 AM   #28
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Well, my opinion and experience is: resistors, capacitors, wires, etc don't have any intrinisic directionality and that is because there is no physical mechanism supporting this (no diodes etc involved).
There might be subtle differences in circuit parastics when one uses certain film capacitors the wrong way but that is something completely different...
Old 8th January 2017, 12:31 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
Well, my opinion and experience is: resistors, capacitors, wires, etc don't have any intrinisic directionality
Never heard of inner foil connection of film caps? Something that can actually be determined non-destructively and something that makes a worthwhile audible improvement to many who listen?

Regarding the thread...i don't see the point. If are getting down to minute details such as wire and resistor directionality, just spend a couple of minutes per part and mark your preferred direction. Not so hard, is it? Chances the manufacturer was consistent don't appear too high.

Threads like this always invite the worst possible contributions, mostly from dedicated trolls.
Old 8th January 2017, 12:41 PM   #30
maiko is offline maiko  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Is this something akin to the directional snake?

The first time I heard about directional speaker cables I was thinking "diodes".... well, I believe if we can hear a difference then "something" is adding something, or... is it the other way around, something is adding "something", but if we are going to say build a guitar amp and throw in a bunch of carbon composites too maybe it's all OK? Perhaps there are different metals and alloys when used asymmetrically that can cause a diode effect which perhaps may produce some kind of 2nd harmonics and/or AM modulation, a sort of DC induced bias, for some a pleasurable distortion or perceptional placebo believed to be "good" only because of having spotted a difference, and where lack of differences suddenly becomes a suspiciously spooky thing too "perfect" to be good, brain ghosts....?

Hide this!Advertise here!