Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2017, 06:50 PM   #11
selfy is offline selfy  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Audibly the preferred direction is left to right, when looking at the resistor with the "black spot" facing you.
Old 7th January 2017, 06:54 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but no one involved in the production process of these resistors cares about the orientation of the resistive element, it is completely random. Just like all those people who 'hear' the orientation of components they identify by the printing on it, its purely imagination.

Regards,
Rundmaus

EDIT: In different words: You are claiming that the resistive element does not determine the components influence on the 'sound', but a small dot of black gunk is what matters. Sounds strange to me.

Last edited by Rundmaus; 7th January 2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 7th January 2017, 07:01 PM   #13
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 50AE
Not so when it comes to many capacitors, where a batch can have a absolute match when it comes to writings vs outer foil. I'm not 100%sure about resistors, but I do select mine by audible direction anyway.
Old 7th January 2017, 07:10 PM   #14
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightyj View Post
Vishay TX2575 and Charcroft Z-Foil are different but they all has the same direction . I am using them as I/V as on the picture it is clearly audible and easy to catch. Left one is the Vishay TX2575 .
If I change + and - on my speakers, do I have to change the direction of the resistor in order to get good sound?

//
Old 7th January 2017, 07:27 PM   #15
nightyj is offline nightyj  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Every component has an audible direction but you need listening culture and a good system in some cases to hear the difference.

You do not need to change the I/V resistor position in order to get the good sound if you have installed it already in the right way.
Old 7th January 2017, 07:40 PM   #16
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 50AE
Maybe not every component. I failed a blind test once to a direction of a Duelund carbon resistor in a speaker crossover.
Old 7th January 2017, 07:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
... remember audio is an AC signal ...
One pin of a resistor always has larger AC audio signal than the other, so in theory orientation does make sense. I am more interested in the physics behind it, if there is any. If there is no physics behind it, this is the territory of psychology.
Old 7th January 2017, 08:01 PM   #18
selfy is offline selfy  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
If I change + and - on my speakers, do I have to change the direction of the resistor in order to get good sound?
No, providing you are doing a handstand to compensate for the phase rotation

Last edited by selfy; 7th January 2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 7th January 2017, 08:31 PM   #19
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The Bulgarians have golden ears

I was just trying to figure out if it was an information direction or electrical potential aspect that was believed to be in play. The answer seem to be "electrical" so the AC signal argument would be valid. The pins voltage potential "variate" - sometimes pin 1 is higher, sometimes it's lower than pin 2 That is what AC really is. Music is AC.

If any of you golden ears also happened to have some electrical engineering skills, could you please describe what is really happening here?

//
Old 7th January 2017, 08:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

What is happening here: People need some visible property of their stuff, like direction of markings on components, thickness of speaker wires and so on which they can influence or change, believing that this changes the sound. The rest happens in the mind (willing to believe).

Regards,
Rundmaus

Hide this!Advertise here!