Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2017, 04:29 PM   #131
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
I'll do that. Someday. It might take an n amount of time. Thank you for the tip.... But I also partially expected a better proposition of that definition from a forum member except the remark.

I know well that Wikipedia may do harm and I had practical failures in my past, when doing chemical synthesis and pyrotechnics.

Results - waste of time, money and useless reaction products as waste. It was a lesson learned and a stimuli to search for better knowledge sources, such as genuine books.
Yes, but did you learn something from those failures besides “what I got from Wikipedia wasn't entirely correct”?

While you're chiding someone (which sounds like "me", but if so is false) for miscategorizing HS, Bach, PhD's who do come up with all sorts of theories as to the next Big Thing in audiophile “things” as being both worthy to learn from and not warranting the term “audiophool”, do consider: my personal knowledge enhancing practicum is:

• search for new stuff
• read it, assess it, bounce its claims against physics and mathematics
• decide if poppycock or pragmatic
• go out and TEST the claim if possible
• and do so an ever less-and-less degree as the "whole theory" solidifies.

Been at that for the last 50 years. There is precious little in the way of 'new theories' that adds to what I've got, what I know, and what I have experienced first-hand. If I have any complaint to offer to God when I get to the Great Electronics Bench in the Sky, it'll be: Why the hêll did you make it so complicated that it took nearly a whole lifetime to become competent?

We'll see what She says.
Probably will reincarnate me as an electric motor or a mallet.

GoatGuy
Old 11th January 2017, 04:47 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And this without trying to "enlighten" him with nonsense, something you are doing right now.
Quote:
I'm glad I see this written here. Remember that it's applicable for both sides of the discussion.

Keep in mind that while you take someone a fool, you're potentially no different from his point of view. Some respect towards others despite their differences might be useful in order to form a friendly and useful discussion. No matter how absurd some approaches might sound to you, they work for a certain category of audio enthusiasts, they did for decades and some of these people build audio systems that playback audio with such a quality, that many people here will dream to have. Some of these builders will spend the most of their time reading, experimenting and creating instead of practicing the usual forum chit-chat that many do here. As it seems that the later have nothing left to do in their lives, but play an Inquisition game. I thought history was supposed to teach us something?
Old 11th January 2017, 06:32 PM   #133
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure voltwide what you're getting on at.

My question - when we get into these debates about 'what's true' (and where almost all “well, if you say that, then you're just as liable to be wrong as the person or idea you are debating” - is this:

When do we declare something is right? Is “right” perpetually declared to be off-limits to general agreement because someone, somewhere, has come out with a novel way of arguing for a different “right”? I suppose the answer is yes, but I remain of the opinion that when the majority agree on something, it usually is enough, unless countered by things known to a much deeper level by present science. (The kind of science which is not generally well known and comfortably trusted by “the majority”)

For instance: when all quantitative and accurate metrology determines that there is no detectable current-flow directionality for “an ordinary metal wire” under a wide barrage of testing conditions, I think it is absolutely fair to then say, “ordinary metal wires are not directional, and therefore resistors made of etched metal foils should (or must) not be directionally anisotropic. ”

This is where this discussion and genteel debate started, and where it should now end. Metal wires and foils are not directionally anisotropic, and moreover should one find some that are, or that are made to be anisotropic, given that "audio" is an A/C signal, nominally without a DC bias component, what good (except asymmetric distortive) would such a wire, foil, resistor or other conductor offer?

None.

GoatGuy
Old 12th January 2017, 05:13 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

It seems that Bulgarians believe in directionality of Z-foil resistors, others do not. Why do feel either group the need to persuade the other?
Old 12th January 2017, 05:15 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)
Old 12th January 2017, 09:18 AM   #136
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
"Keep your minds open—but not so open that your brains fall out.”

Prof. Walter Kotschnig (1901-1985)
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th January 2017, 09:31 AM   #137
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

"Don't expect audio to be the undoing of modern physics."

DF96 (1954-..)
Old 12th January 2017, 09:33 AM   #138
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Why does this Forum attract such a high proportion of gullible fools?
Old 12th January 2017, 09:37 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

You've clearly never been on automotive forums...
Old 12th January 2017, 09:48 AM   #140
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Audio is a 'technical' hobby. It therefore attracts people who are interested in science, but some of them are too lazy to learn any. People who are interested in science but ignorant about it are easy prey for quacks, false memes and snake oil merchants. A few of them become snake oil merchants, while others merely propagate the memes.

Part of the blame must surely rest on the abysmal science teaching in modern schools, and also the postmodern idea that people can have their own private version of reality. People are taught that their opinions matter; they misunderstand this to mean that their opinions about facts can somehow become more important than the facts, or even replace the facts entirely.

Hide this!Advertise here!