Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors
Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 07:56 PM   #101
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GoatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Oh, noes…

demagnetizing copper
cryogenic 'treatment'.

And what, pray, happens when every strand of copper is bent a few degrees?
All those supposedly sweetened invisible copper strand crystals … shift.

Let's not forget also that copper is not magnetic.
In fact, it is weakly anti-magnetic.
LOL to that thread of (un-)reason.

GoatGuy
__________________
John Curl's Golden Rule…: 100 kHz bandwidth, 3 μs risetime, 100 W mean output, 100 V/μs slew rate, 2 Ω dynamic load, 20 amp min current source/sink
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 07:58 PM   #102
OlegSh is online now OlegSh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Germany
Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors
Also Z-foils datasheet somehow overlooks directionality. For some reason it emphasize how stable it is at any conditions. They also mention impedance ratio between 100MHz AC and DC of only 1.001 (source here) meaning that the Z-foil construction is non-inductive and non-capacitive among other properties. Also interesting to actually see the Z-foil resistor construction. Note trimming marks at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VAR.jpg (488.9 KB, 188 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 08:04 PM   #103
OlegSh is online now OlegSh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Germany
Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
Oh, noes…

demagnetizing copper
cryogenic 'treatment'.

And what, pray, happens when every strand of copper is bent a few degrees?
All those supposedly sweetened invisible copper strand crystals … shift.

Let's not forget also that copper is not magnetic.
In fact, it is weakly anti-magnetic.
LOL to that thread of (un-)reason.

GoatGuy
How else can they justify the premium price they ask for their stuff... There must be extra "treatment"
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 08:14 PM   #104
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ..
Default The_Relativity_of_Wrong

the essay: The Relativity of Wrong by Isaac Asimov

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Relativity_of_Wrong
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 08:45 PM   #105
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The great city of Turnhout, BE
Excellent! It has been a while that I read Asimov, still a joy though.

Jan
__________________
Music is dither to the brain; lets me think below the usual chaos - me
Get more Linear Audio for less! Check out my Autoranger and SilentSwitcher
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 08:49 PM   #106
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
The concepts of 1 and 2 are different. Even to dogs, having 2 items is different from 1 item. You can do whatever you like or want to say or declare that 2 = 1, but in the end, you've either destroyed what "=" means, or you've declare that there is no numeracy in your number system. Which then becomes no number system.
I wasn't a a dog to confirm that. But it makes me think. If a dog sees a whole sausage and another half, how does it see things? 1 + 1/2 or 2? Or maybe it thinks "one whole thing, but it will take two courses to bring it back to my shack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
More to the point, DF96 was trying to counter...
I admit I'd like to share my gratitude for the spending of your time sharing this knowledge. It's educational, useful and it was fun reading it. But I do not abandon the idea that there might be audible directionality in resistors despite your useful explanation, but let's say, I'm on the quest in searching for explanations and proof. It's your right to deny this possibility, it is also the right of others to accept it, if they wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
So, sure: go ahead and posit that you can make up your own number system, your own geometric system, your own electric and electronic device performance and structure system. But in turn expect some pretty serious questioning of what motivates your enterprise. THE REST OF US will abide by characterizing devices by the degree to which they approximate ideal devices free from aberrations. And the aberrations will be carefully characterized and incorporated into any real world numeric and synthetic modeling software that we use. So that without constructing a single circuit, the predicted performance can be synthesized to such a refined degree as to become measurable in the future when said circuits are actually built and physically excited-and-measured. .....
I have no wish to show any lack of respect towards anyone from "the rest of you'. I browse this forum regularly and I often find useful information shared from "the rest of your group".
I expect however, the same in return, despite the totally different approaches and (maybe) the lack of objective evidence, that can take a lot of time and resources to build.
I thank you for your thorough, argumentative post.


Excellent! Thank you for sharing this and I hope it gets more readers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:06 PM   #107
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
That in itself is correct. But humanity has invented 'the scientific method' to try to make it as objective as possible, trying to exclude as much subjectivity as possible. And we did quite a good job there. Example: sending a spacecraft to a meteor and having it land a probe there could not be done just based on 'subjective reality'.

Another example: some aircraft crashes are caused by the pilot flying his craft into the ground or a mountain, because he 'subjectively felt' he was going the right direction and level, even with his instruments telling him he was flying upside down! There are documented cases where the pilot survived and stated 'I thought the instrument was broken because it felt wrong'! This subjective reality can be so strong that it overrides all logical indications and actually kill you! And don't ask me how I know - I do!

Jan
Well done for humanity! We have achieved an extremely lot of things in science and technology during this years and I'm glad we still do.
We succeeded to exclude lots of subjectivity in many of domains, but it is my personal experience we still struggle to do so in the audio domain. A phenomenon comfortable to deny because of the lack of defending evidence.

It's fun when no matter what approach you're using to achieve a goal, it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
You missed the point, but again. The earth is round no matter what anyone says said or wrote down. Same goes for no resistor directionality. Your belief otherwise doesn't make it true anymore than if you believed in the Easter bunny. Show proof. Your claims are as outrageous as claiming the Easter bunny is real, your the one that needs proof.
I was going to write down a reply, but I found out it was already written in Asimov's essay. If you wish, read it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:08 PM   #108
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The great city of Turnhout, BE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
But I do not abandon the idea that there might be audible directionality in resistors despite your useful explanation, but let's say, I'm on the quest in searching for explanations and proof.
You could make one giant step forward if you could show, in a valid controlled test, that indeed there is an audible difference. I suggest that this should be the first step.

Jan
__________________
Music is dither to the brain; lets me think below the usual chaos - me
Get more Linear Audio for less! Check out my Autoranger and SilentSwitcher
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:33 PM   #109
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE
Why not?
I can only assume you have your own private definition of 'device' and/or 'mathematics'. Maybe you live on your own private planet too?

Quote:
If I trust him and it works for me, why should I trust you?
You don't have to trust me. You can visit Australia, but I suggest you use an airline which uses the widely accepted definitions of Australia, latitude, longitude etc. rather than your own private ideas.

Quote:
Reality is what?
Reality is itself.

Quote:
Is there any other way to see it without our human perception?
I said it is itself; it is still itself whether we see it or not. What we see is a matter of human perception. We don't have to see something in order for it to exist.

Quote:
And your point is?
Numbers exist, quite independently of how we think of them or whether we 'see' them. You can't have your own private set of numbers.

I am unclear whether you are making this all up, or merely spouting post-modern nonsense you have read somewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:44 PM   #110
Angelm is offline Angelm  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
You could make one giant step forward if you could show, in a valid controlled test, that indeed there is an audible difference. I suggest that this should be the first step.

Jan
Valid controlled test, like this:
Matrix HiFi --> Blind testing high end full equipments
Did you make similar test?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistorsHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metal Film vs. Bulk Foil resistors audiogeekess Parts 23 31st August 2016 09:03 AM
Vishay S102K Bulk Foil Super resistors cygnus x1 Swap Meet 1 26th August 2015 04:02 PM
VISHAY VTA 55 Bulk Metal Foil Resistors? phrarod Parts 3 11th August 2011 08:42 PM
Vishay bulk foil resistors - where to buy? sublemon Parts 2 22nd October 2005 06:15 AM
Black gate caps and vishay bulk foil resistors biovizier Parts 1 21st June 2005 05:20 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio
Wiki