Locating materials to wind my own output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks:

Thank you very much for the help. I now feel that I have enough to get started; both in suggested sources as well as materials. I do appreciate the pointer to EDCOR.

I also appreciate the suggestion to watch costs and use old transformer parts to do something simple (choke) at first to practice.

Thanks

Mark Allyn
Bellingham, Washington

You're welcome.

I've been planning to give winding transformer a try myself too, so reading your post was encouraging.

It seems to me that chokes and transformers is the black sheep of the audio world and something that all would like to avoid.
If you think about it there's really nothing wrong with transformers provided they're carefully designed and wound.
Just consider step-up transformers for mikes and moving coil cartridges which are very high quality sounding devices.
I think that transformers did get a bad name because manufacturers made them as cheaply as possible in order to increase profits.

Been looking around for core material and the only supplier that seems to sell small qty's is Edcor.

The smallest size is EI-18 with the following data:
9.25" strand of EI187, M-6, 29 Gauge - 0.014" (0.355mm) line grain oriented silicon steel lamination.

The price is $25.15, but what exactly do you get for that price? -A stack of laminations 9.25" tall?
If that's the case you get 9.25 / 0.014=660 laminations.

The edcor site doesn't give the measurments of the cores, but this site does:

http://www.villa.com.mx/catalogos/ei-lamination.pdf

Folks:

Thank you very much for the help. I now feel that I have enough to get started; both in suggested sources as well as materials. I do appreciate the pointer to EDCOR.

I also appreciate the suggestion to watch costs and use old transformer parts to do something simple (choke) at first to practice.

Thanks

Mark Allyn
Bellingham, Washington

there are lots to be learned from tearing down old parts, right off you can see how they did it in the olden days....

You're welcome.

I've been planning to give winding transformer a try myself too, so reading your post was encouraging.

It seems to me that chokes and transformers is the black sheep of the audio world and something that all would like to avoid.
If you think about it there's really nothing wrong with transformers provided they're carefully designed and wound.
Just consider step-up transformers for mikes and moving coil cartridges which are very high quality sounding devices.
I think that transformers did get a bad name because manufacturers made them as cheaply as possible in order to increase profits.

i wind my own traffos for use in my builds simply because off the shelf items were not to my liking....this is one big advantage of building your own, you can make it as you want it and as your build needed it...

I've downloaded tons of documents on transformer theory, but most of it is theoretical blah-blah
perhaps useful as lessons in a university class, but of little use for the diy'er.
But I did find one site that gives a hands on step by step approach to output transformer winding.
Not only theory and calculations but also how to actually wind those beasts for any power tube and how to adjust the air-gap etc.

Here's the link for single-ended OPT's:

[url]http://www.turneraudio.com.au/se-output-trans-calc-1.html[/URL]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.