Tektronix 2225

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just been given a Tektronix 2225 Oscilloscope which has a crackling noise coming from the back of it.

I took the case off the noise is coming from the rear of the scope from either a black box connected by a red wire to the front of the tube or a small transformer. I didn't want to start poking about, the black box says 2KV in this area the small transform says 100V DC in this area.

Any thoughts on whats causing the crackling, where to get a service manual, spare part or if i should throw it out.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
jasont said:
I have just been given a Tektronix 2225 Oscilloscope which has a crackling noise coming from the back of it.

Any thoughts on whats causing the crackling, where to get a service manual, spare part or if i should throw it out.

You might look at the following thread where people reported that the IEC filter in a Tek 2235 could not stand the European
mains voltage of 240v. Removing the IEC filter fixed the problem.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=325385#post325385

---Gary (no problems with my 2225 in New York)

2 GaryB, Bensen:

Reason for the noise is most often this one:
Problem near HV multplier, most often dust and dirt accumulated. Hint: Open the scope, do careful cleaning wit ha soft brush. Switch of at least 5 minutes before opening to let all caps dicharge forshure :)

BTW: I can't recommend the IEC filter completely. It helps to keep the SMPS noise from the scope supply transmitting via the mains cable - causes often strange side effects in a measurment setup (most likely your own. Hard to diagnose). Replacing the original filter with a good (european 240V standing) mains filter is recommended. Like the ones from "Schaffner", switzerland. Any proven filter (VDE, CSA or what is apropriate for your country) brandname filter will be fine. As long at it can be fitted and takes at least 3 A, max 5 A. More is "overkill" and unnecessary expensive.

2 Sch3mat1c :
I can't recommend silicone in this area. But careful cleaning (isopropyl) and removin all dirt & dust near the HV and along the cables really helped (I had to repair appr. 15 of these).

I took the case off the noise is coming from the rear of the scope from either a black box connected by a red wire to the front of the tube or a small transformer. I didn't want to start poking about, the black box says 2KV in this area the small transform says 100V DC in this area.

hey guys i have bought one of this scopes working beautifully except the trace rotor pot its not working properly can't be adjusted, any thought on how to replace it?
regards wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.