Eagle PCB VS Express PCB - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2007, 08:26 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Talking Thanks Chris!!!!!

Well, if I looked in the right place.........

After reading Chris' post, I had Eagle running in less than 30 secs - and that included wandering upstairs to find my MacBook.

Very many thanks - - !! I've spent a few days trying to work this one out and it was ready to go from the off. I think Cadsoft need to update the readme file...... I'll drop them a line.

Yay - Eagle on the move!!

Cheers

Jon
Old 21st March 2007, 08:31 AM   #22
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

Eagle!!! express pcb reminds me of dos.
Old 21st March 2007, 03:50 PM   #23
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sounds like you need a degree to run a Mac.
To be fair, Eagle for the MacOS isn't really a Mac applciation at all, it is a UNIX/X11 application. MacOS X is based on UNIX and it can run X11 ("X windows") software if the optional X11 package is installed first, but this is usually a last resort used by developers too lazy to port their software to a genuine MacOS application. Most UNIX type applications have an ugly install process, requiring the user to performs several steps from a command line, usually while logged in with super-user priveledges. Some are even distributed as source code and require the user to compile the software on their own system before installing. Yuck. Don't blame Apple for that... it's old-school UNIX at work.

Most MacOS apps are "installed" by simply dragging an icon from the CD or DVD-ROM or the downloadable disk image to wherever you want to store it on your hard drive, then you just double click the new icon to run it. Usually there is no install process like on Windows (or UNIX!). No files are copied or modified in your system directories, and no 'registry' needs updating.

Back on topic, in my opinion, someone new to both Eagle and ExpressPCB would be better off learning to use Eagle. It might have a steeper learning curve, but you can have your boards made absolutely anywhere. And you can share your Eagle board designs with other DIY'ers if you want to.

Hide this!Advertise here!