Moisture Sensitive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've received my LM1084IS-5.0 samples from NSC today...

But, there was something unfamiliar with it....

It says on the package that the devices are moisture sensitive.:confused:

It's specially wrapped with conductive bag in a vacuum condition, to prevent any ESD or moisture entering...:umbrella:

It even says on the package that the devices have to be "baked" before mounting:redhot: , if the relative humidity on the surrounding is too high.

There were no warnings In the data sheet. :whazzat:
http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM1084.pdf

Can anybody explain me how an I.C can be "MOISTURE" sensitive.:scratch: :rain:

And has anybody ever tried this regulator chip before?
I think I've seen someone who tried this I.C before...

And as an addition, they have a shelf-life of 24months (2years) if the devices are kept within the package, without any single openings.:dead:

This means the devices have to be soldered straight away, if the packaged is opened.:bawling:

The devices are in TO-263 SMD package.

Any other comments on handling these devices?

Attachments

• ts3b.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 177
Sweet!

Thanks!

And do you think all other TO-263 SMD devices will have the same kind of warnings on their wrappings?

I was going to use the chip for a tube heater regulator.

They can handle up to 5A.

Better than buying an expensive LM338:D, but it's really hard to cool them down, because they are in SMD pack.:rolleyes:

I don't like to use the copper track as a heatsink, because it increases the size of PCB. There's no reason to use a SMD device then.. :dead:

It´s right, all plastic packages are somewhat hygroscopic, BGA and packages alike are verry sensitive.
For hand soldering it´s not an issue, but on the other hand smd devices are designed for reflow soldering. The only advantage of smd is machine assembly, use throug hole devices for small series, soldering and reliability will be better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.