Old unused electrolytics - toss 'em?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi -Gnobuddy,
If you've had them in operation for a year, I guess you have no cause for concern in that situation. My suggestion was really a way for you to test capacitors without a disastrous mess if one or more failed. Safely testing the unknown.

-Chris

I use old NOS caps, some 30 years or older. I've also re-formed electrolytics in old valve scopes with a good rate of failure. Obviously you wouldn't use these in critical equipment.

I built and use this reformer - see attachment. I use a variac instead of the resistor potential divider. Whilst reforming you monitor the current and voltage and leave a heavy cloth over the cap just in case. In some cases it can take a few days, bumping up the voltage by 20-50v a time.

Andy.

Attachments

• big_bang.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 59
Dr. Wobble, the file name you gave your PDF document isn't exactly reassuring! :D

I experienced one of those "big bangs" when I was a teenager. I had just built a fairly low wattage (solid state) power amp, and managed to install a big electrolytic filter cap with the wrong polarity. The amp powered up and appeared to work normally for several minutes, followed by a bang, a trial of black goo across the room, an empty aluminium can rolling across the floor, and what looked like a small rolled-up length of black, stinky, fly-paper.

I don't remember the power supply voltage of that long-ago amp, but I'm pretty sure it was no more than maybe 18 volts. That's why I'm not keen to experience what an electrolytic with, say, 300 volts on it does when it explodes. :eek:

-Gnobuddy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
These days a vent is supposed to open and release the internal pressure. They can spray and / or vent smoke for a while.

I have heard a few go boom when I was much younger. Like a shotgun going off after an angry hissing noise. Paper fluff floating everywhere in the room. Impressive. Scary.

I don't recommend it!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.