drilling/tapping aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I have been using TapMagic for Aluminum as the lubricant, along with the aluminum taps that McMaster sells. I originally started using standard taps from Home Depot, and standard lubricant, but normal lubricant can tend to stain the aluminum, and the taps didn't work nearly as well. I would rather spend 2x the amount for a good tap that works, and never breaks.

--
Brian

The speed(and feed) of a given drill bit depends on the size of the drill you are using. There are formulas in "Machinery's Handbook" for calculating this properly. It does make a big difference on the diameter accuracy of the hole and generated friction and wear and tear on the bit.

For tapping I use Tapmagic for alumnium. It seems to work the best and does not evaporate rapidly like alcohol does. It also prolongs tap life considerably. BTW, once you use a tap in alumnium only use it in alumnium from then on. Moving the same tap from steel to alumnium then to stainless, etc. is not a good idea to do.

Although some may disagree with me I perfer to use L.H. spiral flute taps on alumnium as they have alot of clearance for the chips produced and are less likely to bind and break off. They are available from many machinery supply sources.

Mark

Here is a link to a helpful chart that reccomends certain types of taps for certain types of alloys.

http://www.tapmatic.com/tech_manual/tap_recommendations.html

Here is a link to information about Tapmagic For Alumnium.....

http://www.tapmagic.com/TMaluminum.htm

A Link to the company that publishes the invalualable "Machinery's Handbook"

http://www.industrialpress.com/mh.htm

I'll try looking for tapmagic at home depot/rona locally ..

as far as speed goes, i don't have a handbook to calculate it .. what's the approximate speed to drill at? I'd be drilling 1/8" and 1/2" aluminum with a drill bit around 1/8" (not 100% sure on the size, but it will DEFINITELY be <= 1/8")

btw, the speeds available on my drill press are 570, 900, 1390, 2050, and 3050 ..

as far as getting taps, i'll see what it'd run me to get them from mcmaster ..

McMaster is wayyyyyy to expensive! Try Enco Tools or Manhattan Supply Co. Both are located just outside Reno, NV. Actually they are the same company for the most part but one offers more machinery than the other does.

You will find it lots less expensive to deal with these places.

Mark

Enco.....

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

Manhattan Supply Co.......

http://www.mscdirect.com/

If you're drilling big holes in sheet metal, the only way to get good results is to use a Unibit.

Once the drill diameter gets much bigger than the material thickness, a standard two-flute drill wants to make a triangular hole. The Unibits have a single flute and make beautiful holes in sheet metal.

Without looking up the answer in Machinery's Handbook, I'd guess use the middle speed for your 1/8" bit and the slowest speed for the 1/2" bit. Always use a cutting or tapping fluid for best results and longest tool life.

Hope this helps,
Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen said:
If you're drilling big holes in sheet metal, the only way to get good results is to use a Unibit.

Once the drill diameter gets much bigger than the material thickness, a standard two-flute drill wants to make a triangular hole. The Unibits have a single flute and make beautiful holes in sheet metal.

Without looking up the answer in Machinery's Handbook, I'd guess use the middle speed for your 1/8" bit and the slowest speed for the 1/2" bit. Always use a cutting or tapping fluid for best results and longest tool life.

Hope this helps,
Charles Hansen

sorry for misunderstanding, but both of the bits will be <=1/8"

the thickness of the material will be 1/8" and 1/2" ..

also, as far as the msc and the other company suggested, do you have any taps you would suggest for me to buy? (for a 8-32 thread btw)

Oops! Sorry, I misread your post. For an 8-32 tap you will need to drill a pilot hole with a #29 drill (0.136 diameter).

If you are drilling through holes your life will be much easier than if you are drilling blind holes. Blind holes require a lot of patience to avoid jamming the tap with the chips. There is *nothing* worse than breaking a tap in your work.

For through holes I like to use a "spiral point tap". These taps have a special cut at the tip that forces the chips forward. You can just go one direction with these instead of back and forth to break the chips.

For blind holes a good alternative is to use a "roll" tap. This deforms the metal instead of cutting it, so there are no chips to worry about. However, the pilot hole must be bigger in this case. I don't have the correct number in front of me for an 8-32 roll tap.

MSC is a great place to get these kinds of supplies.

Best regards,
Charles Hansen

Hmm, after a bit of research, seems like mcmaster will be the best option for me since I'll need to order the screws and magic tap from them as well.

I'm just trying to think right now as to what else I might need. Maybe a good drill bit would do. Keep the stuff to a small order though.

All 3 of those companies have a GREAT website. Its been a long time since i've browsed through an easier-to-use site (especially mcmaster!).

Peter Daniel said:
Why don't you get it from Home Depot?;)

i checked home depot/rona/canadian tire for the screws - they're $0.50/each at least (some about $0.59)
mcmaster is $0.18/each (for a pack of 50, can't buy them in 50/100 packs here)

checked for taps, home depot/rona have taps which look very cheap, and there's a tiny selection of them .. C.T. has some that are about $7/each .. so CT is an option, but i've read about the mcmaster taps before, and they're about the same taps

oh and i don't at this time want a whole set since i only need one size as of right now .. i don't see myself needing 20-30 different sizes in the near future

the lubricating fluid, although i didn't look for at either of the stores, i didn't see it at either one ..

I don't think you should be making such a big fuss about all that supplies. I'm using the taps frome Home Depot, and can't complain about them. And you can buy them separately (and the drill is supplied as well;))

As to the lubricating fluid, use any oil you might have available (even a bicycle chain lube works here, soaped water, WD40 or Varsol). If I don't have lube around me, I just spit on the tap and it's fine;)

The speed on the drill press should be the highest you feel comfortable with (for 1/8 drill). While you could use the highest speed, I usually prefer the third one from the bottom. For 1/2 holes, I always use the lowest speed.

Peter Daniel said:
I don't think you should be making such a big fuss about all that supplies. I'm using the taps frome Home Depot, and can't complain about them. And you can buy them separately (and the drill is supplied as well;))

As to the lubricating fluid, use any oil you might have available (even a bicycle chain lube works here, soaped water, WD40 or Varsol). If I don't have lube around me, I just spit on the tap and it's fine;)

The speed on the drill press should be the highest you fee comfortable with (for 1/8 drill). While you could use the highest speed, I usually prefer the third one from the bottom. For 1/2 holes, I always use the lowest speed.

well i do like your suggestions (as they save a bit of money) .. this weekend i was planning on goin out and buying the tap/tap holder thing .. and the screws ..

once again, thanks for the advice ..

Now if I want to be really serious, I'm using two lubricant's on the left. Both are industrial grade, used in aviation (on sheet metal work).

Boelube is a very good product. It's like a wax and you just dip your drill bit in it. While drill gets warm the wax melts and lubricates. It provides very smooth action and what I like most about it, it's not messy. I don't really use it for tapping, as the tap don't provide enough heat to melt the wax.

For tapping I like to use Anchorlube, especially when working with copper. The tapping action is much improved and the tap goes deeper when proper lubricant is used.

But, although both those products are very good, it doesn't mean that your regular 3-IN-ONE oil won't work.

BTW, I rarely use lubricant when drilling, only on deep holes (more than 3/8").

Attachments

• lube.jpg
    lube.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 333
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.