LT 1083 replacement

Evidently the Linear Technology LT 1083 regulator is no longer being manufactured. Has anyone found a viable substitute that will handle 7.5 amps of current?

Paralleling 2 LT1764 (3A) Regulators and you get 6A Output Current

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:
Well, I'm looking for something for a higher volt application (power amp)---35 volts, 6 amps would do.

I do not know 5A is enough for your requirements.
if So you can use the LT3080 + High-Power PNP transistor
And you have Voltage Regulators up to 36V
With 5A output current

Best regards David az

Attachments

• 5A.JPG
    5A.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 677
  • mj4502.JPG
    mj4502.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Here are some designs that I have done that may give you some ideas.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/261125-lm3886-problem-2.html#post4073963

Do read the whole thread as it discusses some of the current configurations that are floating around and they just don't work good and are prone for failure.

It is a Positive voltage regulator and I have tested the smallest version in this configuration here,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/261125-lm3886-problem.html#post4064510

I have not gotten around to designing a Negative voltage version yet, or the Higher current positive versions yet. :eek:
But they are on my To Do list. ;)

I have not tried to use the LT parts in the above current boosted configuration yet as they are designed differently than the old TI(National Semi) parts and just may work okay.

The LT parts are also very easily paralleled as shown in their App. notes should you need more current.

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
I do not know 5A is enough for your requirements.
if So you can use the LT3080 + High-Power PNP transistor
And you have Voltage Regulators up to 36V
With 5A output current

Best regards David az
There is no reason why this circuit cannot be modified to give more than 5A. Paralleling the pass transistors with separate emitter resistors to enforce sharing.
These boosted regulators do require care with stability and are sensitive to output capacitor ESR