Machined Face Plates - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2004, 12:30 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmith1315

This being a DIY forum, you could anodize the plate yourself. It's not that difficult a process.

Tim Smith
Macon, GA
Well, in this particular case one of the benefits of DIY are somewhat circumvented by the high cost of getting all the anodizing supplies and equipment together. For one or two panels it going to be cheaper to have them made.
Old 4th March 2004, 12:40 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Beside that, before you start getting acceptable results, you might waste a lot of material (and time). I don't think it's worth the trouble (unless you do it on permanent basis).
Old 4th March 2004, 12:55 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default anodizing

sulfuric acid tank ??

think I'll pass on that one...
Old 4th March 2004, 03:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
sulfuric acid tank ??
Oh, c'mon ya'll. It's just a bit of acid, just do it outdoors! Seriously, the setup isn't *that* costly, or dangerous (it's just oxidation.) You'll be anodizing everything before you know it... Hmm, what else can I throw in here... a roll of aluminum foil, some pie tins, a batch of L-brackets... here, kitty kitty

I looked into the procedure while working on an amateur solid rocket motor in an AL case and was surprised at how complicated it wasn't. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Tim Smith
Old 4th March 2004, 10:59 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hey Ralph great looking amp. You say you got plates up to 10mm from Schaeffer but Front Panel Designer only seems to go up to a thickness of 4mm. Did they just supply you with 10mm uncut sheets or can they actually cut holes it aluminium that thick?

Slightly off topic, but I'm building an amp at the moment that will require a 550mm x 400mm (22" x 16") top plate and will have lots of heavy iron on top. I was hoping to use Schaeffer but I was thinking that 4mm would be too thin and would bend under the weight of all those transformers. Does any one have any experience of using a top plate this size and have any idea what thickness of aluminium I should be looking at? I realise I could use thinner copper or steel sheet, but that would prevent me from using Schaeffer as they can only cut aluminium.

Cheers

John
Old 4th March 2004, 11:09 AM   #26
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You should not go under 8mm for such a large plate. Copper wont help you much when talking strength, but your wallet will sure see the difference

If you cant get your hands on something suitable, drop me a line. Since we are neighbours the shipping wouldnt be all that bad.

Magura
Old 4th March 2004, 12:01 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

John,

scheaffer also has only 4mm in their program but in the additional data you can state that you want it in 10 mm.
You can also give them a call, they have a superb service.
My baseplate is 4 mm and I have the weight of 2 660VA trannies on top of each other without bending.

Ralph
Old 4th March 2004, 02:03 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, I'll send Scheaffer an email or give them a ring and see what they can do for me.

There will be seven transformers on my top plate; total weight is something like 25-30kg, so that's why I was thinking that 4mm might not be thick enough. I'm going to arrange the design so that the heavier transformers are placed near the edges of the plate and not in the middle to try and prevent sagging, but I still think Magura might be right with 8mm as a minimum. I suppose it's better to over specify than to make an expensive mistake

Ralph was there much difference in price between 4mm and 10mm sheet?

Thanks for the offer Magura, I will be in touch if I can't get what I need from Scheaffer.

John
Old 5th March 2004, 10:07 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default new software version

By the way, today I received an email from Scheaffer advertising a new release of their software (anyone who ever used their services should also have received it, I think).

Guilherme.
Old 7th March 2004, 01:29 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Anodizing

This site has supplies and an online manual (I think you have to sign up first) on home anodizing shops. Auto parts dealers sell sulfuric acid by the 5 gallon bucket. That's about all it takes unless you want color. Then you need dyes and steam bath.

http://www.caswellplating.com[URL=http://www.caswellplating.com]

oh. that's how you do links

Click the plating metal fin. tab to get to the anodizing stuff

Hide this!Advertise here!