Toroid normal temperature.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a 1kva 40-0-40 Toroid from Avel. (Model = Y236953)

Normally they are fine but this guy wants to warm up to 45C with little or no load and may be rising.....

I used a infra-red temp gun over the windings got the readings.

Is that normal or should I ask for a replacement?

Thanks guys!

K-

No load open secondary, bad tranny, go for a replacement, running hot a replacement would make you feel a lot more comfortable in the long run. Unless the Manufacturer SAYS it is supposed to run at 45 C open secondary. I can not see why it would really, not under normal design parameters, maybe a 3 to 5 C rise over ambient yeah, Then again is your ambient around 41 C ? If so then the tranny may be fine!
Harlan :eek: :smash:

There are reasons actually that a tranny would get this warm
1. Shorts in the secondary windings, ie between layers, damaged insulation, etc.
2. shorted windings in the primary as well, same way.
3. A mistake in winding the transformer at the factory, we all have bad days and maybe the wire was supposed to be AWG14 and is AWG20??
4. A Bad core! I have seen where the laminations did not get a good oxide coating and the core although magnetically perfect, was a total failure due to eddy currents, and man did they get hot!, I was ready to start a new Induction welder with those.

So there are reasons all of which are most likely not in your design criteria, so I would say a replacement is best way to go.
Good luck too.
Harlan:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.