Just picked up a used Metcal soldering station...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got it on eBay for $50. It's an older model, P2SE-001, but damn is this thing fast!!!

The tip reaches soldering temp in a matter of seconds, literally. Just for giggles, I've let it get cold and fired it back up to see how long and the average is about 30 seconds.

I haven't had a chance to see how it holds tempeture on continuous soldering, but since I'm not a production line it shouldn't be too important.

One thing I understand is that tips can be pretty expensive.

Now that is fast!!!!

9 seconds is incredible :bigeyes: Makes this this Metcal look like a Yugo.

This unit came from a commercial shop with a used tip, so there's no telling how much use or abuse it's had. There a chance that a new tip might greatly improve performance. But, for the home hobbiest does it really matter?

Oddly enough, I bid on a couple of soldering stations hoping that one would come through. Unfortunately, I ended up winning both as of last night. :cannotbe:

The down side is that I ended up paying $115 w/ shipping for this one, although it is the current Metcal SP-200 model, so we'll see how it fairs.

In reality, one of the two has got to go, I just can't afford both after all the test equipment(scope, probes, freq. gen, freq. counter, bench DMM, etc.) I"ve bought in the last few weeks. So, if the newer SP-200 isn't significantly better than it is out of here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.