Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

MCM Electronics vs Parts Express
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2016, 01:57 PM   #1
summit79 is offline summit79
diyAudio Member

Default MCM Electronics vs Parts Express

Wanting to know peoples experiences with both. Speaker quality, longevity, etc. I noticed Parts express house brand is Grs and Mcm is MCM Audio Select. Anybody deal with these companies before? I actually live right next to both
Old 6th March 2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Enzo is online now Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I have dealt with both over the last 40 years, never had any problems with either.

MCM is a general parts supplier for the consumer electronics trade. SO is Parts Express, but PE concentrates heavily on speakers, while speakers are just one department at MCM.

I'd suspect the house brands are similar, very basic cheap speakers.
Old 30th July 2017, 04:18 AM   #3
tomtt is online now tomtt
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
No problems w/either.

Realy like Dayton, also ...
Old 30th July 2017, 10:33 AM   #4
rif is offline rif  United States
Neither a cowbow nor dog owner
diyAudio Member

I've always used PE. Great customer service.
Old 8th August 2017, 12:34 AM   #5
w00tah is offline w00tah  United States
diyAudio Member

I work for MCM. We're closing down, if you didn't hear the news yet. Showroom is closing at the end of September. Don't know how much longer orders will be taken or whatnot. Rest of the company will be closed down by the end of December, is what we were told. Shame, but that's life sometimes.
Old 9th August 2017, 03:24 PM   #6
dzkfraser is offline dzkfraser  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tah View Post
I work for MCM. We're closing down, if you didn't hear the news yet. Showroom is closing at the end of September. Don't know how much longer orders will be taken or whatnot. Rest of the company will be closed down by the end of December, is what we were told. Shame, but that's life sometimes.
Seriously? That sucks big time
Old 9th August 2017, 11:51 PM   #7
Enzo is online now Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I used to use them a lot, mainly for Asian transistor types. I have to say as Mouser and Digikey now stock many current Asian types, I have had less reason to go there in recent years. I suspect my experience is not unique.

I also used to buy things like rubber belts and idler tires as used in tape decks, cassettes, VCRs, etc. But the repair of those things has all but vanished, so again, another thing they won't be selling me.

Shop supplies like solder, flux, chiller, contact cleaner, heat grease, etc are available anywhere.

I liked the company, but their core focus didn't seem to change with the times.
Old 9th August 2017, 11:57 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's too bad. I like MCM although I don't shop there as much as I used to. Maybe that's the trouble. MCM did have great deals on a lot of stuff.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:41 AM   #9
DreadPirate is offline DreadPirate  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I used to use them a lot, mainly for Asian transistor types. I have to say as Mouser and Digikey now stock many current Asian types, I have had less reason to go there in recent years. I suspect my experience is not unique.

I also used to buy things like rubber belts and idler tires as used in tape decks, cassettes, VCRs, etc. But the repair of those things has all but vanished, so again, another thing they won't be selling me.

Shop supplies like solder, flux, chiller, contact cleaner, heat grease, etc are available anywhere.

I liked the company, but their core focus didn't seem to change with the times.
Agree. My orders, and all a long time ago, were belts for CD players and tape decks. I think I also picked up a few interesting looking MCM branded speaker drivers at one point. Maybe some generic surround foams to fix up rotten ones on old, obsolete speakers. They served their purpose at the time, but I can see how they no longer fill that niche. I go to mouser, digikey, and PE now, perhaps a bit of eBay. Sad to see it go, though.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:50 AM   #10
msibilia is offline msibilia  United States
diyAudio Member

I will miss the 55-2421 8 inch woofer. Lots of compact, deep, and cheap bass at $30.

Marc

MCM Electronics vs Parts ExpressHide this!Advertise here!