MCM Electronics vs Parts Express

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have dealt with both over the last 40 years, never had any problems with either.

MCM is a general parts supplier for the consumer electronics trade. SO is Parts Express, but PE concentrates heavily on speakers, while speakers are just one department at MCM.

I'd suspect the house brands are similar, very basic cheap speakers.

I work for MCM. We're closing down, if you didn't hear the news yet. Showroom is closing at the end of September. Don't know how much longer orders will be taken or whatnot. Rest of the company will be closed down by the end of December, is what we were told. Shame, but that's life sometimes.

I used to use them a lot, mainly for Asian transistor types. I have to say as Mouser and Digikey now stock many current Asian types, I have had less reason to go there in recent years. I suspect my experience is not unique.

I also used to buy things like rubber belts and idler tires as used in tape decks, cassettes, VCRs, etc. But the repair of those things has all but vanished, so again, another thing they won't be selling me.

Shop supplies like solder, flux, chiller, contact cleaner, heat grease, etc are available anywhere.

I liked the company, but their core focus didn't seem to change with the times.

I used to use them a lot, mainly for Asian transistor types. I have to say as Mouser and Digikey now stock many current Asian types, I have had less reason to go there in recent years. I suspect my experience is not unique.

I also used to buy things like rubber belts and idler tires as used in tape decks, cassettes, VCRs, etc. But the repair of those things has all but vanished, so again, another thing they won't be selling me.

Shop supplies like solder, flux, chiller, contact cleaner, heat grease, etc are available anywhere.

I liked the company, but their core focus didn't seem to change with the times.

Agree. My orders, and all a long time ago, were belts for CD players and tape decks. I think I also picked up a few interesting looking MCM branded speaker drivers at one point. Maybe some generic surround foams to fix up rotten ones on old, obsolete speakers. They served their purpose at the time, but I can see how they no longer fill that niche. I go to mouser, digikey, and PE now, perhaps a bit of eBay. Sad to see it go, though.

I will miss the 55-2421 8 inch woofer. Lots of compact, deep, and cheap bass at $30.

Marc

cost less now.

idk about how much the shipping would be -

Attachments

• Screenshot_199.png
    Screenshot_199.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 125
Over at Newark/Element14 it lets me get all the way to the final checkout screen without showing a shipping charge, even with only a pair or single in the cart. I'm not certain why, I don't see any listed shipping promotions, but my last order from them went free once I hit 49.99$, so it with be worth it to buy a pair or quad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.