Rotary off-on switch for mains power? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2016, 04:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rotary off-on switch for mains power?

I am building an amp and like the symmetry of having the volume knob on one end of the amp, and hoping to use a rotary switch for turning the amp off and on, on the other end. I have no experience with rotary switches, and was curious if any 2 pole, 2 position switch with a proper voltage rating would be suitable to this application? I was also curious if there are any disadvantages or risks in using a rotary switch for mains power? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 25th January 2016, 04:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Nowadays you will be hard pushed to purchase switches like the old TV switches.
Plenty of industrial types; Rotary Switches | RS Components
Old 25th January 2016, 04:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Rotary switches are usually not specified for mains power, unless you use an industrial device. Or use a power relay... and protect the contacts of the rotary switch with VDR or correct RC network.
Old 25th January 2016, 04:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there any reason an industrial switched would not be suited for home use, or audio application?
Old 25th January 2016, 04:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What about HS13X NKK Switches | Mouser
Old 25th January 2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

A lot depends on the transformer you intend to switch. Large toroids can generate significant arcing as the contacts close and open.

You could always use a small switch to control a triac and so do it that way. Have a look at the PSU in Nelson Pass's A75 which does just that.
Old 25th January 2016, 07:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The switch will be wired to a 9v 5va transformer powering a soft start circuit for a much larger 45v 800va transformer. Would a triac still be necessary in addition to the soft start?
Old 25th January 2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Awh is offline Awh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

how about RMS1016 | Rotary Switch, 2 Way, Solder | Lorlin

4A 250v ac
Old 25th January 2016, 08:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Both the lorlin and nkk switches look like they could work, I've come across a few other ones too that claim to be rated for mains voltage. I guess I'm curious if it would still be wise to take additional measures to protect the contacts from arcing, such as using a triac, or relay, and protecting the contacts with varistors. The pass a75 idea looks really solid, but i was just hoping to get away with something a bit simpler if possible. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far though.
Old 25th January 2016, 08:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm using an esp p39 for the soft start, which I've already constructed by the way.

Hide this!Advertise here!