DIY speaker cables for Quad amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2016, 06:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY speaker cables for Quad amp

Hi
I have been reading a lot of different posts here about DIY audio cables and I have noticed specific designs only suitable for some amp / speaker combo's.

I am interested in making some for my set up but its not really high end and not sure it would be much benefit. My set up is Quad 405, Rotel pre amp RC-03 and some 90's B&W DM560.

Some of the cable designs I have read about are using braided cap 5 which seems quite economical but I am not sure my amp is suited to this. Other design I have seen that looks easer to make is Low-Inductance DIY Braided Hi-Fi Speaker Cables

Would either of these be suitable for my system or are there any other options to try?
Old 14th January 2016, 06:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have always just used 13 amp mains cable.
I haven't had any problems with them.
Old 14th January 2016, 08:01 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It is highly likely that Quad gear will work well with any reasonable speaker cable, as it is not 'high-end' but merely competently designed. Mains cable will be fine.

Low inductance necessarily means high capacitance. High capacitance cables can lead to trouble.
Old 14th January 2016, 08:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That cool. Thanks for replies. I will just stick to what I am using then.

I am just looking for and trying to eliminate weak links in my system and dying to try something DIY while I save for a nice speaker project.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:16 PM   #5
arnyk is offline arnyk  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cintronic View Post
Hi
I have been reading a lot of different posts here about DIY audio cables and I have noticed specific designs only suitable for some amp / speaker combo's.
There is a big controversy in the audio world as to whether those kinds of claims that are made for audio cables are fanciful or actual.

Generally, these claims are based on comparisons and auditions that are scientifically speaking, highly flawed.

Only a small minority of music lover audio systems actually contain special audio cables.

As a rule speaker cables need to be made out of cable that is heavy enough to deliver low distortion and flat frequency response across the speaker terminals. That depends on the impedance of the speakers and the length of the cable.

Unless your speaker cables are quite a bit longer than the typical 8 feet or less, or your speakers are highly atypical, ordinary 14 or 16 gauge lamp cord cable is technically sufficient.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cheers, guess I been geeking out too much. My cables are only 3 foot.

On subject of cables, they need to be equal for right and left speaker right. So if the amps nearer one speaker and theres more cable spare is it ok to coil the cable up to keep it tidy?
Old 15th January 2016, 08:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi

I am interested in making some for my set up but its not really high end and not sure it would be much benefit. My set up is Quad 405, Rotel pre amp RC-03 and some 90's B&W DM560.

Some of the cable designs I have read about are using braided cap 5 which seems quite economical but I am not sure my amp is suited to this. Other design I have seen that looks easer to make is Low-Inductance DIY Braided Hi-Fi Speaker Cables

Would either of these be suitable for my system or are there any other options to try?
One cool idea I read about was to unwind a copper-foil inductor. They are available in anywhere from 16 to 10 guage. Not sure what the cap and inductance was at the end of the day.

Not all low-inductance cable is also high-capacitance by the way. Just depends on construction methods.

Best,

Erik
Old 15th January 2016, 08:28 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Not all low-inductance cable is also high-capacitance by the way.
I've done that. One has to be careful with termination, i swap speakers all the time, and the foil cables kept breaking at the termination. Otherwise they worked well.

dave
Old 15th January 2016, 10:00 AM   #9
arnyk is offline arnyk  United States
Banned

Quote:
Cheers, guess I been geeking out too much. My cables are only 3 foot.

On subject of cables, they need to be equal for right and left speaker right. So if the amps nearer one speaker and theres more cable spare is it ok to coil the cable up to keep it tidy?
Trying to match or minimize speaker cable length for cables a few feet long relates to visual aesthetics, not sound quality.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Trying to match or minimize speaker cable length for cables a few feet long relates to visual aesthetics, not sound quality.
Depends on the quality of the cable. Try this with 22 guage wiring. :-)

I would keep them the same length and try not to coil them very tightly or coherently. This will also mean less cable cutting when you move things around next.

Best,

Erik

Hide this!Advertise here!