DIY speaker cables for Quad amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have been reading a lot of different posts here about DIY audio cables and I have noticed specific designs only suitable for some amp / speaker combo's.

I am interested in making some for my set up but its not really high end and not sure it would be much benefit. My set up is Quad 405, Rotel pre amp RC-03 and some 90's B&W DM560.

Some of the cable designs I have read about are using braided cap 5 which seems quite economical but I am not sure my amp is suited to this. Other design I have seen that looks easer to make is Low-Inductance DIY Braided Hi-Fi Speaker Cables

Would either of these be suitable for my system or are there any other options to try?

Hi
I have been reading a lot of different posts here about DIY audio cables and I have noticed specific designs only suitable for some amp / speaker combo's.

There is a big controversy in the audio world as to whether those kinds of claims that are made for audio cables are fanciful or actual.

Generally, these claims are based on comparisons and auditions that are scientifically speaking, highly flawed.

Only a small minority of music lover audio systems actually contain special audio cables.

As a rule speaker cables need to be made out of cable that is heavy enough to deliver low distortion and flat frequency response across the speaker terminals. That depends on the impedance of the speakers and the length of the cable.

Unless your speaker cables are quite a bit longer than the typical 8 feet or less, or your speakers are highly atypical, ordinary 14 or 16 gauge lamp cord cable is technically sufficient.

Hi

I am interested in making some for my set up but its not really high end and not sure it would be much benefit. My set up is Quad 405, Rotel pre amp RC-03 and some 90's B&W DM560.

Some of the cable designs I have read about are using braided cap 5 which seems quite economical but I am not sure my amp is suited to this. Other design I have seen that looks easer to make is Low-Inductance DIY Braided Hi-Fi Speaker Cables

Would either of these be suitable for my system or are there any other options to try?

One cool idea I read about was to unwind a copper-foil inductor. They are available in anywhere from 16 to 10 guage. Not sure what the cap and inductance was at the end of the day.

Not all low-inductance cable is also high-capacitance by the way. Just depends on construction methods.

Best,

Erik

Cheers, guess I been geeking out too much. My cables are only 3 foot.

On subject of cables, they need to be equal for right and left speaker right. So if the amps nearer one speaker and theres more cable spare is it ok to coil the cable up to keep it tidy?

Trying to match or minimize speaker cable length for cables a few feet long relates to visual aesthetics, not sound quality.

Trying to match or minimize speaker cable length for cables a few feet long relates to visual aesthetics, not sound quality.

Depends on the quality of the cable. Try this with 22 guage wiring. :)

I would keep them the same length and try not to coil them very tightly or coherently. This will also mean less cable cutting when you move things around next. :)

Best,

Erik

Depends on the quality of the cable. Try this with 22 guage wiring. :)

If you want to goof around, hope nobody takes you seriously. ;-)

If you want to be taken seriously, check your wire gauge table. ;-)

22 gauge wire has 16.14 ohms per 1,000 feet or 0.016 ohms per foot, which is still less than 0.1 ohm for a 3 foot speaker cable. In this range, excess length or unmatched length still isn't going to make an audible difference.

I would keep them the same length and try not to coil them very tightly or coherently.

As do I, for the sake of looks.

This will also mean less cable cutting when you move things around next. :)

As do I, for the sake of convenience.

If you want to goof around, hope nobody takes you seriously. ;-)

If you want to be taken seriously, check your wire gauge table. ;-)

22 gauge wire has 16.14 ohms per 1,000 feet or 0.016 ohms per foot, which is still less than 0.1 ohm for a 3 foot speaker cable. In this range, excess length or unmatched length still isn't going to make an audible difference.

I'm not particularly interested if you take me seriously or not, as no one has appointed you one to judge yet.

Well then, we've just solved the copper shortage problem. Let's have everyone switch.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
If you really want to hear how bad your system sounds, try top octave piano source. Peter Nero Young & Warm & Wonderful has such a passage on When I Fall in Love. Then go listen to a real Steinway to hear what that should sound like. I have one located between the speakers.
I find 10' of this industrial extra flexible 3SO10 cable McMaster-Carr sounds better than 20' of 16 ga 7 strand zip cord. I listen at 1.5 v peak to peak for this test. Piano should NOT have vibrato. Any you hear is IM distortion.
3SO cord has hundreds of strands, I don't know if that has something to do with it, or just the fat gauge. My Peavey SP2-XT speakers are highly inductive at 8 ohms and I find low inductance cable a bit silly for that. The third wire is just how it comes, I fished mine out of the factory dumpster and cut out the bad insulation segments. For 1/4 " phone plugs, takes the switchcraft right angle plugs to handle this thick gauge. My amps have binder posts, i use amp (TE connectivity) crimp spade lug terminals, yellow, under those. I use a real klein or ideal crimp tool, not some trashy imitatioin tool from the orient. Amps tested were the CS800s and the dynakit ST120 with the djoffe bias mod to eliminate the OEM crossover distortion. Both sound about the same at this power level on classical and big band music.
I don't know if shorter is better, I need 10' on one speaker and 6' on the other. The speakers are 4' off the floor on poles to project the treble down at the room per Peavey PA speaker design. The amp is under the couch to hide the fan noise. Dynakit ST120's have *****y heat sinks; fans let it run 18 hours a day without the fireball effect.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.